"I love you"

Placing two hot tea mugs on the island counter, the dark-haired woman felt delicate arms embracing her from behind. Her smile growing wide as she felt soft lips pressed against her cheek. Maura, never stopping holding her with one arm, came by her side and picked one of the mugs.

M:" I'm sorry about my behaviour today."

J: "It's ok, Maura."

M: "No, it's not. I was dreadful, and it will likely happen again."

Seeing sorrow hazel eyes looking into her's, Jane started rubbing her shoulder, trying to give her some comfort. Maura's actions and words seemed to hurt her more than herself.

J: "I know you didn't mean to."

M: "I didn't, but I still said it. It doesn't matter if it wasn't really me talking to you that way because it was still me, and I hurt you."

J: "The only thing that matters to me is that you didn't mean it, and you're trying to fix things right now."

Maura stopped touching her and looked at the floor. Quiet tears starting to roll out from her eyes. Jane took her hands between hers and caressed them.

M: "Jane...I don't want to hurt you. I spoke to my doctor, and it's going to take a while...and that is if the new treatment works. If you don't want to be with me right now I understand, a-and if you m-meet someone in the meantime I won't blame you."

J: "What are you saying...Maur...I love you."

Jane tried to look her in the eyes, but it was useless. The blonde was sobbing gently, staring at the counter. It hurt her, seeing her in such pain and still being able to be so selfless. This was the real Maura.

M: "I-I don't mind if you leave if that means I won't hurt you."

J: "Maur... You're not listening to me. I've been in love with you for years."

M: "I k-know, b-but...you deserve better."

J: "That just tells me you deserve me more than what you realize."

______________________________

Glancing at her watch, again, Maura grunted in annoyance.

Jane was waiting for her at the Café, and she was still here-waiting for Kent to return. She supposed she could leave, but she didn't want to wait another day without him clearly understanding they were not together. She thought she had been clear but apparently not. In the past days, every time she tried to bring the subject up, he interrupted and avoided the topic. At this point, she couldn't stand him.

Knowing most of the anger was caused by a lack of compassion and strong impulsive feelings, she tried to stay as calm as possible. The last thing she wanted was to turn him into a scapegoat for all of her problems. However, part of her felt a rush of adrenaline running through her body with the mere idea of exploding on him.

K: "Hello!"

M: "Kent, please close the door."

Intrigued, he did exactly what she asked and walked to the front of her desk—staring at her, more relaxed than what she expected. Maybe he was more clueless than she believed.

M: "It's over."

K: "What's over?"

M: "Our relationship. Although I wouldn't necessarily classify it as such."