Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Lately Jane and Maura were acting really strange. I didn't know what to think anymore. Sure, after I locked them up in one room, they seemed to make peace. I think they were good for now. They seemed to put their differences aside. My plan must have worked. But after that day, they both started behaving really strange. It was kind of odd because they have never acted like that before. Unfortunately my mission wasn't fully successful - they weren't an item but at least I made things better by locking them up in the room and now they were best friends again. At least I thought that way. But I started having some doubts about it. And it began when all the strange things started happening.

Something strange happened a while ago. It was a day after Jane and Maura had put their differences aside. Back then when I got back to unlock the door everything seemed fine. They both looked pretty content, talking to each other and they weren't bickering as usual. So I thought that everything was fine between them. They didn't seem very mad at me for locking them up in a room for hours. Maybe just a tiny bit because when I freed them, Maura ran into the bathroom and Jane started explaining that they were shouting at me to open the door. But I wasn't there, as I told Jane and she didn't seem to mind a lot. But the next day that happened:

Jane just got back from work and Maura was already back in her house, cooking some dish and I was helping her out. Maura was wearing some casual dress and an apron while cooking but when I heard Jane's words to Maura my jaw dropped to the floor.

"Oh my God, Maura! You look so hot in that dress! Is it hot in here or is it just you!? You look fucking awesome," Jane exclaimed, looking at Maura in awe. She just entered in the kitchen and started talking like that!

"Jane, language!" I scolded her. "Don't talk to Maura like that. What is going on with you?"

I couldn't believe my daughter. What she was saying and the way she talked with Maura! It was really odd because she never acted that way before. And I just didn't know what to think. Sure, she made her compliments before but now it seemed like she was exaggerating.

"Well, you look beautiful too," Maura retorted, beaming. "Doesn't she look lovely today, Angela?" she asked me.

And I just stood there, dumbfounded. I didn't know what to say. Friends don't talk to each other like that, do they?... But maybe I was being paranoid, thinking that something was happening between them. So I let it go without saying anything.

*****

But strange and awkward things like that happened all the time. A weird thing happened one day when I asked Jane for advice, too. We were all alone in the room and Maura was out so we could talk freely.

"Hey, Jane. I want your advice on something," I said to my daughter.

"Sure," she shrugged nonchalantly, looking expectantly at me.

"I want to buy something nice for Maura because I want to thank her for her hospitality. She lets me live in her guest house so I want to buy her something special. Something she will love. Do you have any ideas?"

"I don't know, Ma."

"Perhaps a nice dress or shoes?" I suggested, asking for her opinion.

"If you want to buy her a really nice shoes that she will love, you'd gonna have to bankrupt because they are really expensive, Ma."

"Ok, then something more casual and not so expensive... Something I could afford. Like a pajamas, for instance. She wear pajamas, right? Everyone does."

"No, she doesn't," Jane said and I looked at her. "She sleeps naked," she added quickly, saying it so casually.

"And how do you know that?" I was shocked to find out that my daughter knew something so personal about Maura. Has she checked it for herself!?