Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It was hopeless. I couldn't do anything about it. It was like they just refused to see the truth. Maura and Jane were blind and the dinner didn't do anything. The romantic dinner apparently wasn't enough. Just when I decided to see how things were going between them, I saw Jane leaving the house. It was still early so I guess nothing had happened between them. And I really didn't know what to do. Not anymore.

To set up Maura and Jane together turned out to be a mission impossible. I needed some help. I knew what I needed was a fellow who would help me with my mission to get Maura and Jane together. Or perhaps two fellows. My sons. They were perfect for the task. When I told them about it, they were willing to help me out. They even got excited about it and after that we were able to think together as a team. Our mission was clear - to set up Jane and Maura. We just needed a good plan to make things happen.

"You know, I think that they just don't realize their true feelings," I explained to my sons. "They just need a little push, that's all. I think if we manage somehow to make them kiss, that would open their eyes. But how can we make them do it? I can't just tell them: 'You have to kiss, now.' No, I just can't do that. So we need a plan. How to make them kiss?"

Then the three of us started thinking for a plan. After a while Frankie exclaimed:

"I got it!"

Tommy and I both looked at him. He quickly shared the plan with us.

"I don't think that Jane will agree to this," Tommy said in the end after hearing Frankie's plan. But we had nothing better. We couldn't think of anything else so we decided to stick to Frankie's plan. We had no other choice. Since we couldn't think of anything else, we decided to go for it and give it a try. It wouldn't hurt to try, would it? At the end we just smoothed some small details about it and we got ready to act.

We gathered at Maura's house for dinner. Jane, her brothers, Maura and I were having dinner together. After we finished with our dinner, I started washing the dishes and spying on them as well. The mission was about to begin. I didn't have any part in it besides spying on them and making sure everything goes smoothly.

"Let's play something," Frankie suggested, looking at the others. "We don't have anything else to do so let's play a game."

"Oooh, yes. Let's play," Maura agreed enthusiastically, seeming pretty excited about it.

"Okay," Jane said with her usual I-don't-like- anything demeanor. "What game?"

"Let's play spin the bottle," Frankie suggested after some thinking.

"You want to play spin the bottle? Are you turning nine again?" Jane retorted with a snort in the end.

"Noo," Frankie answered loudly in spite of his sister. Then he moved closer to Jane, whispering "Come on, please, agree" in her ear.

"Why?" she asked him quietly.

"Because I... I want to kiss Maura," he confessed in her ear.

"What?" Jane exclaimed a bit too loudly. "Over my dead body!"

"What's over your dead body?" Maura asked, going near them to see what was happening and were they going to play or not.

"Nothing," they both answered her in sync.

"Are we playing or what?" asked Tommy and looked expectantly at Jane.

"Yes," Maura agreed once again.

"No," Jane refused to play. "I am not playing some stupid game. And neither should you, Maura," she warned her.

"But I want to play," Maura said, looking at Jane. "Come on, Jane. Please. Please, let's play spin the bottle," she begged her, making faces at her, trying to convince her. "I haven't played it as a teenager and I really wish I could try it now."