Chapter 3

I opened the door that was down the hall that will soon separate me and the only people I truly love and trust once I close it. How can I do this without them? I mean they have been my support system and to stand their alone on that big stage is quite terrifying. As I looked at my surroundings I noticed that it was a dimmed room that looked like the backstage. The lights were dimmed and there were large black boxes probably filled with equipment that had The Voice logo printed across them. And finally there was a golden mirror settled at the side of the room.

               Immediately walking over to the golden mirror that must have cost my house I grasped the edges to try to calm myself down as I felt my heart begin to race from performing onstage in just a few minutes. I examined myself trying to see if I actually looked decent. My naturally straight red hair fell down over my chest and played with a little bit if I could do any last minute things. Nope not working. I wish I had wavy. Yeah straight is fine, but no matter what I do I cannot seem to curl it properly. David says that I don’t need to do anything with my hair, but sometimes I wake up and say, “Rachel you are going to wear something nice today and not be a hobo.”

               My blue eyes were filled with worry and I tried to listen what David said. “Be remembered.” I mean it is not like they are going to pick me, so might as well give it everything I got right? The people in the audience came to see a great performance, and hopefully I will try to give him that. I know I will not dance. Heck no! I look like a chicken leg gazelle in insanely high heels having a seizure.

               “Rachel Kelly.” I jumped from the outburst and raised my hands like a ninja to find a chubby little women wearing a head set. She just smiled at, probably laughing at me of how stupid I look, and said, “They are ready for you.”

               I nodded in reply and she gave me a microphone as she walked with me towards a walkway to the stage. I stopped in mid step as I saw a glimpse of the crowd cheering and the part of the back of some of the coach’s chairs. Probably the head set lady noticed my uneasiness, because she whispered into my ear, “Just breathe and you will do great.” The idea that other people were being hopeful that I would make it besides my boyfriend and grandma was quite comforting. With a look of determination on my face for the first time in the past couple of months, I walked towards the stage.

               The bright lights partially blinded me as I walked up the few steps that connected to the stage. Every year I have watched this show and I never thought I would see it from this perspective, yet here I am now. I noticed the band that was getting ready to play my audition song behind me with dimmed lights around them, so I guess the audience would focus on me. The crowd was larger than I have ever performed to. Well I have never performed to anyone actually except choir practices and performances. Though I never actually went to audition for a solo, because I was scared of rejection. The coaches’ chairs were all facing against me and I immediately recognized their name plates. Blake, Gwen, Adam, and Pharrel. In my head I must kept hearing David’s voice saying over and over, “Let them remember you. Let them remember you.” I took a deep breathe when suddenly the music started to play and I closed my eyes letting the music of Bruno Mars’ song Talking to the Moon take me.

I know you’re somewhere out there

Somewhere far away

I want you back