day 30: drunk at a new year's party (in which niall is conflicted)

As Mona was downing yet another shot, Niall realized that he hadn't ever seen her drunk before. Even at the cabin, when they had a few nights in which at least one of them was completely wasted, she always managed to stay sober.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to drink while you're supposed to be working?" Niall asked for what seemed to be the millionth time, biting back the laugh that threatened to escape his lips when Mona snarled at him.

"Carter took half my shift, it's all good," she slurred, stumbling towards Niall, throwing her arm over his shoulders. "Loosen up and have a drink with me!" She held up her half-filled glass, bringing it to her lips, and this time, Niall actually did laugh.

"Noooo," he chuckled, pulling it away from her and drinking it himself, squeezing her hip upliftingly. "I'll have a drink with you when you sober up a little."

She whined, and he shook his head, completely enamored. "Why must you kill the only joy in my life, Niall," she muttered, swaying on her heels a bit. "I'm not drunk yet." Niall scoffed, rolling his eyes and shifting slightly so he could put his arm under her knee to pick her up. She let out a little squeak when he lifted her off her feet, scowling at him again. "Blondie, put me down."

"Nope," he simply said, popping the p, navigating through the crowd so Mona's high heels wouldn't accidentally poke someone. "You're drunk."

"But I'm not!" she complained, but before she could say anything Niall was bustling through the doors and dropping her into the fresh pile of snow, laughing at her horrified expression. "Niall!" she screamed, already scrambling out of the icy pile. "I'm gonna fucking kill you!"

But Niall was laughing, ignoring her rather weak punches to his chest. "Look at that, you're just about sober already!" Mona frowned at him, and Niall cooed at her before bringing her into his chest, kissing her hair and rubbing his hands against her bare arms to warm her up. "Aw, sorry babe. It needed to be done." He let his lips brush over her hairline, unable to suppress his grin. Even half-drunk she still managed to maintain her minty scent. It drove Niall mad. "Although I probably should've warned you considering what you're wearing."

"Don't mock my clothing, Niall, this is my new year's shirt," Mona griped into his chest, slapping his stomach before hugging him back. "I hate you." She pulled back then, a frown still etched on her face, and Niall didn't hold back his laugh this time. "Give me your shirt, you shithead," she said, tugging at his flannel, and he shed it without a second thought, handing it to her. "Thanks," she muttered.

Niall rolled his eyes, though it was a fond gesture when it came to Mona. "Get back to work, loser." He chuckled as he followed her back into the pub, amused by her scowl and the fact that it was an automatic reflex for her to flip Carter off when he waggled his brows at her. As Niall passed him, he sent a threatening look his way before taking a seat on the other side of the counter, across from where Mona was standing. He wasn't in the mood to deal with pervy Carter and the fact that he was ogling at Mona's ass, and he tried to get his blood to stop boiling by downing the drink Mona passed him.

"Easy now," she scoffed. "I can always push you in the snow."

Niall smirked. "I can handle my alcohol, babe."

Mona's eyes darted up to meet his at the nickname, pursing her lips sardonically. Niall didn't know what had gotten into him, but it was as if he wanted to see how many times he could push her buttons before she snapped. He wouldn't call it teasing, but he figured if he couldn't make her fall in love with him, then he could at least attempt to pull her leg and leave her to stir.

She opened her mouth to say something but Jingle was calling for her at the other end of the counter, where a crowd of patrons had gathered, and Mona hurried to assist her.

Niall was sipping on his newly refilled drink when someone tapped him on his shoulder, and when he spun around on the stool, he saw that it was Cleo, the nurse's aide from the hospital he'd visited with Mona a few days ago. "Hi!" she greeted cheerily, and Niall thought she was a bit too excited to see him. But then Jingle's words were suddenly ringing in his ears.

Maybe find someone else to get your mind off of it.

Niall mulled it over for a second. Maybe he could give it a shot. Maybe Jingle was onto something. So he gave Cleo one of his winning smiles and patted the stool next to him, offering to buy her a drink, crossing his fingers and hoping for the best.

Except he didn't know what the best was.