Part One

The school was dank and unimpressive. A squat grey building composed of a few rectangles pushed together. Still Ciaran felt nervous entering. It felt somehow sacred after housing the girl for the majority of her mortal life. He knew any memory of the soaring crystal towers of their youth had been erased over the course of her time in the mortal world. Ciaran wondered if she found the mortal world impressive without the memories of so much more. He pulled the book bag he had stolen from some doe eyed boy outside over his shoulder. Pushing his way through the hallways overflowing with human teenagers he felt ancient, and by their standard he was.

The class room was about as impressive of the school, grey walls on all four sides and rows upon row  of identical seats. The room was peppered sparsely with posters encouraging the students to work harder and a thick wooden desk sat at the front of the room, behind it sat an impressively thick man.

“Who are you?” The teachers voice was deep and nasally. As he stood Ciaran could tell that what he had mistaken for mostly fat was actually defined muscle.

“Ciaran Rowan. I am a new student.” He replied politely handing the teacher a small yellow slip of paper . “A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Manne.” His head bowed slightly as greeting. He hoped that would be acceptable. Mortal customs changed so often he had given up on trying to perfect them long ago, now he wished he had payed more attention.

“Take a seat Mr. Rowan.” Mr. Manne dismissed him gesturing to the few empty seats in the room. A couple of girls motioned for him to come sit next to them, but he was already headed in the direction of Heather.  Her eyes were wide, presumably in shock, but her face was lacking expression. It was obvious she still hadn’t come to terms with the other night’s events. Ciaran didn’t blame her. The desk behind her was empty and Ciaran sank gracefully into its wooden frame. Her mouth opened, then closed again but before she could say anything Mr. Manne delved into a lecture about the pros and cons of the American Judicial System.