Love at first sight

The azure blue sky peeked through the white patches that resided in the skies. The sun stood slowly like a giant from the east. The playgrounds were full of dewy, fresh and earthy grass. A yellow coloring at the center and a globe painted concentric of that in the green fields or walls here and there. It was the World Cup season, and the whole country divided into two.

Bangladesh have never qualified for the football World Cup, but that didn't restrain the people from the love of the game. The whole country divided into two sides - Argentina and Brazil. A Bengali always dreams big, but it's the little things that makes them happy.

We have a passion unalike anyone. The people will cry for their loss, and celebrate their win as if it is their own. The World Cup is like a festival here. You'll see people in football jerseys all the time during this period of bliss.

Like every fourth year, I had to buy one for myself too. So, I decided to pay a visit to Rahim chacha from whom I always buy my jerseys.

It was morning. And I was swiping through a few jerseys, checking their quality. The sun's rays wafted through the windows and fell on a box. I finally chose the jersey and told Rahim chacha to pack it up for me. The sun's rays were still on the box and the box looked quite fancy as well. It was like destiny itself wanted me to open it. Out of uncontrollable sheer curiosity, I opened the box.

And I fell in love.

I fell in love at first sight of what was inside. It was a pair of the Adidas Fire and Ice football boots worn by Lionel Messi. The boots were burnished with ravishing beauty of fire and ice. The design looked like the breath of a dragon, but the breath was surrounded by a sea of blazing ice. I fell in love and I needed them no matter what. My eyes fell on the price tag.

"17,000 BDT for some football boot?" I told myself out of shock.

But hey, who said love is easy? You need to make a lot of sacrifice and commitments for love. And I needed my love at any cost. I needed the boots no matter what. I picked them up and handed them to Rahim chacha. I asked him to keep them safe for me as I will buy them, not today, but someday. I will save up the money somehow and no matter what, not to sell them to anyone.

And for the next couple of months, I made myself go through hell for love. I saved money. I saved money in every possible way. I did simple homework of the seniors of my college. I babysat the annoying kid of my neighbor. I even washed dishes at our local restaurant to save money. I periodically paid visit to Rahim chacha every fortnight to check if the love of my life was still there. And finally months later, with the whole 17,000 BDT in my hand, I raced to the shop.

They were still there. Rahim chacha kept my word, and so did I. I was there. And I would finally be buying them that day. Taking them home. Maybe sleep with it too in bed.

I handed him the whole bundle of cash and he looked baffled.

"Exactly how many boots do you need again, son?", exclaimed Rahim chacha.

Clearly confused I replied, "Umm...one?"

He contemplated something for a moment and suddenly broke into tears. Tears of laughter.

Still confused, more than before, I asked him what happened. He finally calmed himself down and replied, "Oh my God! The price is 1,700 not 17,000! You saw one extra zero!"

And I have never felt more witless. I messed up out of excitement. Out of heat of the moment I saw the label wrong. All these months of struggles, sweat and blood were for nothing! I was a fool in love.

But hey, who said love was easy. I finally gave him the original price of the boots and left with the love of my life on my feet to the fields imitating to be as good as Lionel Messi and dreaming to play alongside him one day.

A Bengali always dreams big, but actually it's the little things that makes him happy.