Thousand of Miles

Start from the beginning

I open the door and there is Mukhtar. I'm surprised, I didn't even remember that he knew where I lived. After I got home, he was here a couple of times to see if I was okay.

- You look like you saw a ghost! Am I disturbing anything?

- Of course not! Sorry! Come in, please. I thought it was the neighbor who is always complaining about the songs I hear.

- Did you manage to live next to a resentful Vitas' fan?

He laughs. A delicious laugh, this kind of laugh of those who are happy with life.

- Well, I was driving by on your street and I saw the window open. I found it strange. By this time Dimash's family is already on the farm preparing Nauryz, I was worried that you were not in good health.

- I'm not going to the farm. Remember: I am his interpreter. In the midst of family and friends, I am of no use.

Mukhtar looks at me a little surprised.

- I won't talk about it again, I promise. But I confess that I don't understand this relationship between you two.

- So we're in the same place, since I also don't understand. But I'm not in the mood to talk about it.

- And I didn't even come to talk either. Since you're staying in the city, how about spending the Nauryz with me? Meet the festivities here in Almaty?

- With you? Don't you have anywhere to go? Friends to find?

- And are you not my friend? Isn't that what you told me back in Brazil? So I want to take my friend for a walk. What's strange about that?

- Won't it be a nuisance for you? Walking around the city as a tour guide?

- It will be an opportunity to try a new profession. Who knows, one day I might quit being a doctor and decide to travel around the world? Sometimes this idea seems very attractive to me ...

It looks like fun. At this very moment, Mukhtar is a cool breeze and it removes my sadness a little. Why not accept this offer? It will be nice to have someone to talk to ...

- That's right. It will be great to walk around the city together. And I would like to know the typical foods, the Kazakh parties. When I first set foot in Kazakhstan, I was very interested in that.

- Well, then it's agreed. I'll pick you up tomorrow morning. I'll show you some festivities and then we'll go for a legitimate lunch in Nauryz. I think you will love it!

Mukhtar goes away and I stay here thinking ... Dimash is a long way from here. Busy with his personal issues. Why can't I go out with Mukhtar? I will block Dimash and leave the phone at home. For one day I will forget or try to forget that Dimash exists.

Part Three

Mukhtar is an early riser. It is early and he is already here. We are having breakfast before leaving.

- My dear Brazilian tourist, as your tour guide I will make an introduction to what Nauryz is. Nauryz is a very important party for Kazakhs, which marks the beginning of a new year, as well as the new year in Brazil. It is celebrated on the day of the spring equinox. The pace of nature is very important for us Kazakhs. Nauryz means "new day" and has been celebrated in the Great Steppes since ancient times. Furthermore, this holiday has a sense that I like very much: it is an opportunity to remember how important it is to value health, prosperity, love and it is also a date to forgive each other and to leave behind all the grudge.

- I always liked the idea that one year ends and another begins. An opportunity to start over with new goals, make plans. I know that, in practice, it makes no difference, but for me this symbolism is very powerful.