"Probably, but we made a plan to go back in September, she told me the grapes and apple tree will be ripe then and we can pick them."

"Ah, so...you're going to see the woman...again?" And to Mary Margret's credit, she is trying to appear indifferent, but Emma has lived inside this woman and has spent thirty years with her.

"Why are you acting weird about it?"

"I'm not-"

"Yes, you are," she sighs heavily, folding her arms across her chest and leaning back against her chair. "But why?"

"Honey, I just want to make sure that you are careful. You both have been through a lot and I hope there isn't a misunderstanding on what either of you want out of this friendship." Emma squints at her mom, assessing her closely and convincing the woman to proceed. "Look, you are constantly talking to each other, you spend all day texting the woman. You don't even speak to Ruby that much."

"I know, it's...new and it really breaks up the day. I enjoy confiding in someone who doesn't know me so well. She can have an objective opinion, you know?"

"And I understand that, I do."

"But..."

"But the woman lost her husband and I hope she isn't blurring the lines. I hope she sees you and not just the woman who holds her husband's heart."

"It's not like that," she instantly defends, spinning back around on her chair to dive into her work once again and end the subject that is sending unnerving shivers down her spine. "We are just two people who have something to bond over and actually enjoy each other's company. That's it," she states with finality, slamming the door shut on their conversation.

"Alright, well, then I'm glad you have found a new friend." And with that, Mary Margret stands from the bed and heads for the door, but Emma can feel the way her mom is holding her breath as she pauses near the doorway. "I bumped into Mrs. Lee today," Emma inhales sharply, her eyes fluttering closed, "I told her about the transplant."

Emma runs her fingers through her hair, scratching her scalp along the way because this is the last topic she wants to unbury at the moment.

"I'm sure she was as stoic as ever," she grumbles under her breath. "I'm going to work on this a little bit more and then I'll come down for dinner, sound good?"

Her mother brightens up as if someone just plugged her in. "Oh good, I will see you soon," she cheers before she softly closes the door to allow Emma some privacy.

Emma's eyes slide back to her phone beside her laptop and she has always been a curious one, so she snatches up the device and opens her Instagram. She quickly scrolls through her notifications, pausing when she locates a comment she knew would be there after her mom's confession.

"Beautiful as always. Hopefully you will grace us with more of your stunning work again real soon!"

She anxiously nibbles on her bottom lip, contemplating if she should reply, but she quickly exits the app and redirects her attention back to her work.

~~~~~

Blinding white lights engulf her, but she's clueless as to where she could possibly be. She glances from left to right for a hint as to where she is, but there is nothing but a blank canvas of pure white. It feels empty, cold, hollow and she's sure if she opens her mouth to scream, her voice would echo down the halls of nothing.

She swallows thickly, an unnerving sensation tickling up her spine and warning her that something isn't right. She summons the courage, despite her inner panic and calls out to anyone, but not a sound escapes her. Her heart hammers in fear as she opens her mouth and attempts to scream again, but it's futile, her vocal cords are not cooperating.