Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

                Jayce had left his card on my table and I decided to give him a call in the morning. I was too tired to do too much investigating tonight. Crawling in my bed, I didn't notice that Jason had come back and was lying next to me. I drifted off into a dreamless sleep and only faintly noticed the ghostly hand that held onto my waist.

                "Darling? It's time to wake up..."

                "No..." I opened my eyes a little and looked at the alarm clock. 7:00 am. I was out for spring break so why did I have to be awake now?

                "Come on, darling. You've got stuff to do today."

                "Five more minutes..."

                "Alright, darling, alright." I nuzzled back into my pillow. It seemed like I had just drifted off when Jason started talking to me again.

                "Darling, you really do need to get up now. Someone has been knocking on the front door for almost ten minutes."

                "Ugh!" I rolled out of my comfortable abode, threw on my bathrobe, and went to answer the door. Jayce was standing there; his hand froze in mid knock.

                "Good morning."

                "Do you know what time it is?" I waved him inside before shutting the door again.

                "Just a little after seven?"

                "Exactly. To bloody early." I motioned for him to sit down as I went and poured two cups of coffee.

                "Thank you." I handed him a cup before sitting cross legged on my couch.

                "You're welcome. To what do I owe this ridiculously early visit?"

                "I have recently discovered a possession of mine is missing. I was wondering if you might know where it went to."

                "How would I know? I've known you for what? Two days? That's hardly enough time for me to steal something from you."

                "I don't think you stole it."

                "Then why would I know where it was? I don't even know what it is."

                "Well, it's my grandfather's leather jacket."

                I gagged on the hot coffee, coughing until it spewed from my mouth. I knew it!

                "You're grandfather?"

                "Yes. I told you that I was curious that you kept calling me Jason, as that was my grandpa's name. I never met him; he died before my mother was born. She was raised by her grandparents. Mom said that my grandfather died when he was really young. She didn't even have a picture of him. When her mom died, her grandparents adopted her."

                "Holy shit." I couldn't bring myself to say anything else, because at that moment, Jason appeared on his chair.

                "You're telling me that's Lila's kid? He looks quite a bit like me..."

                "Go away!" I hissed. He was the last thing I needed right now.

                "I'm sorry, was I interrupting something?" Jayce was looking at me like I was nuts.

                "No, no, don't worry about it. There's just a little pest in here that won't leave me alone."

                Jayce turned his eyes to Jason's chair. He knew Jayce couldn't see him, so he stuck his tongue out.

                "Jason Whittier that is no way to greet your grandson." Jayce smiled and waved at Jason.

                I couldn't help it, my jaw dropped as I spilt my coffee.

                "You can see him?"