Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                I was in one of Jason's memories. It looked like a 50's high school movie. Several girls were in poodle skirts, boys in letter jackets. I noticed one girl in particular headed towards me, eh, Jason. She was really pretty, flowing chestnut locks and big green eyes. She flashed a brilliant smile.

                "Hello, Lila."

                I heard a gunshot, felt a searing pain in my chest. My hand automatically went to the pain, and when I pulled it back, I saw blood.

                That was all I saw before Jason jumped out of my mind.

                "Don't you ever, EVER, do that again!" I couldn't help it; I didn't like not having control of my body. I grabbed my chest. It still tingled from the memory of the gunshot. I was trying to catch my breath when I noticed tears running down my face.

                "I'm sorry. I couldn't think of another way to let you know who I was talking about."

                "What happened?" I was reliving the scene in my mind. I couldn't see the person who shot me, but I could feel the emotions that surrounded Jason when he saw Lila.

                "Uh, I died. I thought that was pretty obvious." His voice was filled with bitter resentment.

                "I caught on to that, believe it or not." I was going to try and be nice, so I decided to lie down next to him. Even with him being a ghost, I could smell his musky aftershave.

                "Are you sure you want to know?"

                "Nope, but tell me anyway. Who's Lila?"

                "I was gonna marry that girl. She was pregnant." I looked at him utterly shocked.

                "You knocked some chick up?"

                "The kid wasn't mine. I wanted it to be, it just wasn't." Once again, if ghosts could cry, he would be soaking my bed with his tears. "I was gonna put my name on the birth certificate anyway, get married, raise a family."

                "Who shot you, Jason?"

                "The baby's father."

                "And that was?"

                "David James Whittier."

                "Any relation?"

                "My father."