Chapter Two - Two Years Later

Two Years Later

                So, as we have established, I see dead people. Since coming out of the coma when I was sixteen, I have emancipated myself. In other words, I divorced the parents who were going to let me die. Currently, I was living in a flat and attending a prestigious performance school. Yeah, dead people still found me and I helped them when I could. There was one, however, who just wouldn't die. Sure, he's dead, he just won't go away. And he's taken it upon himself to move into my place of residence, a place where other dead people knew not to tread.

                Insert Jason Whittier here. In life, I'm sure he was really very handsome. Shaggy black hair fell into his dark brown eyes. He had a smile that was like his personality, sarcastic and annoying. He wouldn't talk about how he had died, and he didn't seem to have any reason for hanging around. Well, I knew how he had died, I just didn't know why. Jason had a bullet hole through his heart.

                Anyway, coming home from school one day, I opened the door softly before entering. I wouldn't willingly let Jason know I was back. Scanning the living room and then the kitchen, making sure the coast was clear, I headed towards the refrigerator. When I opened it, there was a severed head staring at me by the milk.

                "Go away." I groaned as I pulled out a sandwich. I heard the head chuckle as I slammed the door.

                "That's no way to greet your rommie, Phriek."

                "Unwanted roommate, Jason. You just keep that in mind." I mumbled as I sat on the couch. Luckily, I had a rich dead uncle who was nice enough to leave me the flat and a huge sum of money. He was also nice enough to stay dead.

                "Ah, darling, you know you would be so lonely without me here." He sat down on the loveseat and stared at me.

                "Wouldn't that just be fantastic? Peace and quiet." He stuck his tongue out at me so I tossed my bread crust at him, hitting the window. He threw his head back and laughed.

                "Darling, as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm dead. Laws of physics don't apply."

                "Bug off."

                But of course, he didn't. The only privacy I had in my own home was in the shower. Jason knew better than to step foot in there while I was naked.

                And that's how my days went, usually. School, home, annoyed by a dead guy. A few times a week some ghosts would pop in, begging me to do their unfinished business for them. It's my routine, and I'm not too fond of it.

                "I just want to be normal!" I had said it out loud without meaning to.

                "Not gonna happen, Phriek." Jason popped up behind me. I hated when he did that.

                "Go to hell Jason."

                "I live with you don't I?" He tasseled my hair before disappearing again.

                "It's your own damn choice!" I screamed. I swore I could hear him laughing when I heard the door open. Alyssa, the nurse who had taken care of me in the hospital, walked in. She was the only living person who knew my secret.

                "Jason?" She laughed when she saw how pissed I was.

                "Who else?" I got up off the couch and helped Alyssa with the grocery bags. She had become a surrogate mother to me since the whole hospital incident.

                "Darling, he just does it because he knows it bothers you." She was putting food in the fridge. Jason had his head in there again, laughing like the maniac he was.

                "I know, and don't call me that. I hate being called darling." I pushed a carton of juice into his face. He just smiled at me.

                "Phriek, sweetheart, have you given any thought as to why he's still here?" Alyssa had finished putting the food away and was sitting at the counter, looking at me with concern.

                "He won't tell me. It's like he enjoys being tormenting me too much to die properly." I had said this just to hurt him, which I knew wasn't nice. I didn't really care at the moment, as he was sitting in my living room again, this time with no pants on.

                "Maybe you should try to persuade him, dearest. There must be a reason he's still hanging around. Everyone has a reason." I knew she was thinking of Seth, and I automatically hugged her. She thought about him a lot.

                "I know, Lyssa, I know."

                Alyssa left a few hours later, leaving me to put up with the idiot by myself. He wasn't too vulgar with her here, so I knew he would be a real pain after. My assumptions proved incorrect, however. Jason was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

                "Out." I pointed at the door, hoping he would leave. When he didn't budge, I sat on the bed next to him.

                "Do you really want to know why I'm still here?" His voice was soft, almost a whisper. If he could have cried, I'm sure he would have been.

                "I want to help you move on." It was true, and it was my job. Jason was the only spirit I had met that I couldn't help move on to the afterlife. It bugged me more than he did.

                "I want her back. I want to see her one more time." Jason spoke in the same quite tone.

                "Who?" I wasn't expecting the answer I got. Jason took over my body and showed me something I never wanted to see again.