Phriek

Being the life of the party can be the death of you. Truer words were never spoken. I would know. Not that I was ever the life of any party. Nope, I was just the girl her friends would call when they were too plastered to do anything else. And that's what I was doing on that god forsaken night.

                My best friend, Lessa, had called me, begging me to pick her up at a party. I, being the forever faithful friend I am, dropped what I was doing and left to pick her drunk ass up. Spring break was turning her into a slut.

                Anyway, I arrived at the party, found Lessa, and piled her into my car, strapping her in first. I was always cautious when I drove. After clicking my own seat belt, I checked my mirrors and backed out, heading home. I didn't see the black Mercedes. I didn't hear Lessa scream. I didn't do anything but feel the worst pain of my life.

                The man who hit my car was wasted. He was actually leaving the same party I had just picked Lessa up from. Lessa walked away without a scratch, as did the other driver. Me? Oh lucky me, I died. Twice. Yeah, they revived me both times, but in the short time that I was dead, I saw things no one should have to see.

                They told me I was in a coma for six months. When I woke up, a little boy was sitting in my lap. He smiled softly at me, but that didn't change the fact that it looked as if his face had had a nasty encounter with the pavement. He was dead.

                "Don't worry, I'm here for a reason." His voice was so soft I could barely hear it.

                "Are you a ghost?" My voice was jagged and raspy from disuse.

                "Obviously." He replied in the same soft voice.

                "What do you want from me?" He grinned and handed me a picture. I could see him and a woman in the picture.

                "My mom. I never got to tell her I loved her. Would you do it for me? My name is Seth, by the way. Hers is Alyssa."

                I didn't know what to say as Seth disappeared, leaving the picture in my hands. A nurse came in just then and gasped when she noticed I was awake. She stepped out of the room and yelled for the doctor.

                When the doctor came in, she smiled gently as she took my vital signs. She told me that today was the day my parents were going to pull the life support plug on me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My parents were going to let me die?

                It wasn't for several hours when the doctor unhooked all the machines I was attached to. My parents still hadn't come in, even though they had been told I was awake. I was pretty pissed, but too weak to give it much thought. All I could think about was the little boy, Seth, and his mom.

                When the nurses changed shifts, I was shocked to see Alyssa enter my room. She looked just like she had in the picture.

                "Well, hello darling. It is so nice to finally see you awake!"

                "Alyssa?" I croaked out her name and she spun around to stare at me, a huge smile on her face.

                "Well! You do speak! It's so nice to hear your voice."

                "Alyssa."

                "Yes darling?" I handed her the picture. Tears quickly filled her eyes. "Where did you get this?"

                "Seth. He, he said he loves you."

                And that's how I became different. I could see dead people, and once they found out, they wouldn't leave me the hell alone. My name is Phriek, and man do I live up to my name.