Chapter Six

Chapter Six

                Jayce, true to his word, was there the next morning when the doc released me. He looked good, wearing black jeans and a white t shirt. Alyssa had brought me something to wear home last night. Her sense of fashion for me consisted of old grey sweat pants and a light grey tank top. It was comfy, but still pretty shabby.

                "You look nice."

                "Bugger off."  I was in no mood for the cop. For some reason, I wanted to get home to Jason. I wanted to ask him why the hell I had seen Lila.

                "No need to bite, darling." I whipped around and glared at him. Without thinking, I said...

                "Don't call me darling, Jason. You know I hate it!"

                "Why do you keep calling me Jason? You sound like my grandmother."

                "Humm." I decided not to talk to him for the rest of the ride home. I couldn't believe I had called Jayce Jason three times. It agitated me how much they looked alike.

                Arriving back to my place, Jayce got out and opened the door for me. I muttered my thanks and headed to unlock my home. I was half expecting Jason to be sitting on the couch, waiting for me, but he was nowhere in sight.

                "Are you going to invite me in?"

                "Sure, why not?" My voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Come on in."

                "Thanks."

                Jayce took his time coming in and looking around. He sat down carefully on the couch, as if he was afraid of sitting on something.

                "What the blazes is wrong with you?"

                "Hum?" Jayce seemed distracted for some reason.

                "What the devil are you looking for?"

                "Nothing. I just thought someone might be here."

                I was getting agitated again. One of the joys of having Irish blood, as my gran would say. My temper brought out an accent I didn't care too much for.

                "Can I get you something to drink? And who the devil did you think would be here? I already told you I live by myself."

                "No one, never mind. And I would love something to drink, if you don't mind." He acted as if he was waiting for something. It was really starting to bug me.

                "So, tell me, where does your family come from?" I was trying to be polite, and I was trying to keep my anger in check.

                "Just on the outskirts of town, actually. Whittier Farms."

                I didn't know what made me drop the sodas in my hands, the fact that Jayce said he was from Whittier Farms, or the sight of Lila, smiling sadly at me, sitting at my kitchen table. She didn't say anything, just nodded her head towards Jayce, and vanished.