Nineteen

It's another Monday at school. The only positive about today is that Riley is finally back to help me cope with the monotony of boring structure. I've heard whispers about her return, with some going as far to suggest that she's been in rehab all week. I quickly set that straight with my colourful choice of words. It's been harder for her to deal with our friends. She has never been able to lie and going so far as to hide something so major must be torturous.

"Where have you been?" Farkle asks her, wrapping her in his arms, "Your dad told me I couldn't see you until you came back, and then he said he didn't know when you'd be coming back. I missed you!"

"I missed you, too," She says flatly, skirting away from him to receive hugs from Lucas and Zay.

Zay smiles at her, "Things have been dark without you around, sunshine."

"Aww, did you miss me too?" Riley beams, hugging him again.

Lucas raises an eyebrow at Riley as we take a seat outside first period. "Did you lose your phone?"

"No? Sorry, my parents took it from me but it's back now."

"Why'd they do that?" Farkle asks, grabbing Riley's hand and rubbing circles with his thumb.

"Oh, they didn't like me Googling my symptoms, said I'd make myself worse."

Okay, so I guess Riley's been practising her lying during her time at home. I both love and hate to see it.

The bell rings and we make our way in for English.

Later, at lunch, Farkle pulls me aside. His eyes are full of desperation and I can't help but feel sorry for him.

"Maya, can you help me out?"

"With what?" I say innocently.

He rakes his hand through his hair worriedly, "With Riley. She hasn't spoken to me, well, in over a week, and I know that she had her phone because she was opening my messages. Do you know what's going on with her? Please, just tell me if I should be worried."

"I don't know, Farkle. I'm sorry. I think she just needs time, or something."

His face crumples and it breaks my heart, "Did I do something wrong?" His voice is broken and he has tears in his eyes.

"No." I say firmly, "Just don't push her into saying anything and remind her that you love her."

That's what he does. As we sit down in the cafeteria, he slings his arm around her waist and says, "I've really missed you, love." She smiles at this, kissing his cheek. For a moment, I'm convinced that everything will be okay.

The last class of the day is history with Matthews, and it goes on fine, though he is visibly concerned about Riley being back at school. I don't think we're the only ones who noticed his constant glances at her, either. For example, when Riley went to the bathroom, Sarah turned to me and asked if everything was alright with her. To which I responded,

"Yes, everything's fine." Not the best answer, considering my tone, but it shut her up and made her turn back to the worksheet.

But then class ended and Farkle went straight to Cory. Riley turned to me in panic as we both knew what was coming. He didn't go up with his, 'I have a question that I need answers to' walk, nor his 'I actually found a problem in our work today and this is it' walk. It was definitely his newly acquired 'I have a personal matter that involves your daughter' walk.

"Girls, if you would?" Cory says, shooing us away.

"Oh, I don't mind. They can stay."

I stopped watching Riley entirely, staying focused on Farkle as I tried to telepathically communicate the importance of him not saying a word. He didn't seem to hear me.