Seventeen

"Did you want to get some sodas?" He suggests, and I nod. We make our way to the convenience store around the corner. The walk there is freezing and the two of us arrive laughing at our chattering teeth.

"When did it get so cold?" I giggle, still clutching Josh's hand for warmth as we head inside.

"Sometime around December," Josh answers pulling off his beanie, his dark hair falling loose, the way it had been earlier tonight.

I roll my eyes playfully, smiling politely back at the cashier, "No way! But, seriously, it wasn't this cold ten minutes ago."

"The joys of early springtime."

We head to the back of the store, over by the fridges, and take two cans of soda. As I pay for them, Josh seems to tense up beside me. I turn to face him, "Are you okay?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, fine." He clears his throat, "Just, uh, behind you."

I turn around instinctively, and I feel my cheeks heat up. Shawn spots me the same time I spot him and he makes his way over to us.

"Hey!" He says cheerily, and then his eyes glance down. Shawn says nothing, but I know he's spotted mine and Josh's hands intertwined. I almost pull away, but I really don't want to and I'm sure that it doesn't really matter. "What are you two doing out so late?"

I shoot him a look, trying to remind him about tonight, all the while wishing that the ground would open up and swallow me whole. Shawn grins slyly, and I know he's remembered but has zero intention of leaving us alone.

Josh, standing gallantly beside me through this horrific exchange, remains wordless. I'm almost surprised; this is Shawn! His brother's best friend, someone he has known all his life, someone like another big brother to him. Yet, right at this moment, I can understand that their dynamic has shifted. They aren't buddies, able to fool around, they aren't equals. Shawn is my dad, and Josh is my date, and he's holding my hand and keeping me out late.

The hum of the refrigerators is suddenly overwhelming and I can't think up an answer to Shawn's question. He just laughs quietly at us.

"Well, I've just got to pick up some more coffee, but I'd be happy to give you guys a lift. Josh, if you wanted me to drop you at college?"

He looks down at me and I shrug, knowing that to deny this would be incredibly uncomfortable for us and just leave Shawn with more to tease me about later. Josh smiles briefly at me and squeezes my hand.

"Yeah, if it's not a bother, that'd be great."

"Yeah, of course!"

Josh and I head out to the carpark on our own, stealing one last minute to ourselves before the night is over. "It has been such a fun night," I tell him honestly, speaking in a low voice to preserve the tenderness of the moment. We lean against the hood of the car, standing so close that our arms touch. His face is all the more handsome right now, framed by the black sky and the bright white lights of the parking lot. I can't believe that I'm so lucky to be looking at him right now, standing here, being open after our very first date. And it was surely one hell of a date. I don't think I've laughed so hard in so long, especially not with somebody I am so intensely attracted to.

"I'm glad you think so, I've definitely enjoyed spending time with you."

I smile up at him, "We should do this again, don't you think?"

"I was about to say the same thing." His eyes flicker as he studies my face, "Maya..."

"Yeah, Josh?" Our voices are hardly above a whisper, and I have to focus to hear what he's saying.

"I'm sorry for making you wait. And I'm sorry that, for a while, I was too immature to treat you how you deserved."

"Don't," I say gently, "You don't need to think about that. Tonight has been good. We've been good, too, for a while."

"Yeah, we have."

Shawn comes out then, clapping the bag of coffee between his hands, "Come on, you two. Maya, how about you come and sit upfront with me?" I know I don't really have a choice in the matter. Josh brushes a lock of hair from my shoulder as we separate. The small gesture leaves my head buzzing as I climb into the car.

The ride to NYU is silent, save for the low hum of music from the radio. I know that Shawn is saving his questions for when Josh is gone, and that is alright by me. As we pull into the parking garage, and Josh is about to leave, Shawn says, "You guys can have a minute, if you want." I appreciate Shawn so much in that moment, knowing that I could never have the guts to ask.

"Thanks," Josh answers for the both of us, and I follow him out. We stand a short distance from the car to say goodbye.

"Thank you again for tonight."

Josh hugs me, "Anytime." We stay like that for a moment and I find myself enjoying the serenity his embrace gives me. We pull away at about the same time, and in our last moments together, he kisses my cheek before walking away. I get back in the car in a dizzy daze, heart thrumming in my chest. I never thought that Josh would make me feel like this with a simple little cheek kiss. Perhaps it's the thought that the next step is our first kiss and that there could be so many more kisses after that.

Shawn says nothing until we're on the main road, and then he glances at me with a cheeky grin, "Wow, Maya, you certainly seem taken by this boy."

"Uh-huh," I murmur, not quite recovered from tonight.

He laughs, "Come on, Miss Daydreamer, give me something! How was it?" His smile is so wide and child-like, contrasting the soft growth of beard he's had for what seems like forever.

"God, it was amazing," I say, laughing a little, "Tonight really flew by and he was so nice all night."

"I'm glad you had fun, kid. But you know that it's going to be my job to embarrass you if you continue to see him, right? I can't let you go around getting into trouble now." His eyes are twinkling as he speaks, so I know he isn't serious.

"What is it? Memories of your glory days coming back to haunt you?" I jeer.

He grins, "I finally understand why parents hated me, they had no idea what was going to happen, and I was a danger to their daughters. I hate to see you growing up so fast."

"Well, get used to it, old man –"

"Watch it!"

I laugh again, "Because I am never letting go of this feeling."

AN Happy December, y'all. Please let me know what you think of this part, and if you get the same soft vibes I had writing this.

I'll tell you one thing, this chapter really had a mind of its own. I had an outline, and maybe two out of ten things stayed the same lol

Stay safe and happy