Twenty One

The six of us sit around the living room. Riley is sandwiched between her parents, trying not to start crying again. Farkle is sat on an armchair, picking at his jeans in anticipation. Josh and I are at the dining table, not daring to say a word because we're lucky to be here for this.

"I can't do this," Riley exclaims.

"Stay," Her parents say in unison, securing her by her arms.

"I think this would be best coming from you, Riley." Topanga says gently, but Riley shakes her head, looking down. Farkle squirms, not knowing if he should speak or not. He chooses to stay silent, a wise move, in my opinion. "Fine," Topanga says, "Farkle, Riley has recently told us about what you two did on New Year's."

Cory looks absolutely disgusted, but I can tell he's fighting not to overreact, clearly understanding that his usual antics would not be helpful. Not that they were ever helpful.

"Is this why you haven't been calling on me in class?" Farkle asks, his face flushing red.

"Mm, perhaps..." Cory answers unwillingly, cutting Farkle's apology short.

"Cory!" Topanga gasps, her mouth open and eyes wide, "You cannot take it out on the boy's education."

"But he did that to our daughter!" He's pointing at Riley's stomach and the room goes still. He takes a breath, moves his hands down to his lap and apologises, "I do not know what came over me."

"I did... what? Please, someone tell me that I'm misunderstanding."

Nobody says anything for what feels like the longest time. I notice Josh stop breathing entirely. There's a clamour outside the apartment, and a blare of car horns from the street below. A cool spring breeze blows through the open window and ruffles a vase of flowers.

"I'm pregnant," Riley says, smiling brokenheartedly as tears drip from her eyes. "I'm sorry, Farkle, I didn't mean for this to happen."

He blinks rapidly, "No, you... no." He seems to realise he's talking nonsense and further hurting Riley because he shuts his mouth and reaches out for her. She gets up from the couch and falls into his arms, sobbing as she rests on his lap. Her parents are holding each other as they watch everything unfold, and I can see them planning the next steps.

"We know this is a big shock," Cory starts.

Topanga continues, "But you need to know that we are here for you, and will always support your decisions regarding this."

Josh is watching my reaction, I can feel it. Sure enough, when I glance to my side he's looking at me out of the corner of his eye. I take his hand because this has to suck for him. Riley is his niece, and she's still a baby in his eyes. Well, maybe not a baby, but far too young for this. Josh is far too young for even the idea of fatherhood.

"Do you want to be a mom?" Farkle asks loudly enough for us all to hear. I tense in anticipation. Riley nods, crying.

"I'm sorry," she whimpers, "you must hate me."

"You know I love you. I know this isn't something we prepared for, it's not something we wanted to happen, but we'll figure it out." He's always been so smart, always known what to say to get through to her.

Cory clears his throat and tries to take back some control of this spiralling situation, "My parents once taught me that something can happen in a minute that can change your life. For you, you're not in a time where you think you can handle it and you're going to need strength and support. You have us, you always will, but you need to talk to us if we are going to help you through this."

"Mr Matthews, sir?" Farkle waits for permission to keep talking, "Thank you. I... thank you." His words fail him so he occupies himself by hugging Riley even closer.

I excuse myself from the room, leaving the apartment entirely. This whole thing is so overwhelming and gut-wrenching and I don't know what I'm supposed to do or say. Nobody tells you how to act when your best friend gets pregnant at fifteen. 

AN: Life is so exhausting right now. I'm glad that past me did some writing because I've been struggling to form a cohesive sentence. This in itself is draining me lol

Wishing you the best,

Elise xx

PS another update should be soonish (as in next few days), though I know that whenever I say that, I disappear