Two

As 8.30 struck, I raced out of the house to meet Riley at the subway. I spotted her dressed in a pastel yellow skirt and a white crop top, struggling with the vending machine while impatient assholes cursed her out in mumbles. She smacked her hand against the glass in a last ditch effort to get her candy to fall, but it simply didn't work.

"Okay, be like that," she huffed, scooting away to let someone else deal with it. I grabbed her hand softly, and it frightened her before she looked over at me and then squeezed. "Happy Birthday, Peaches. I hope you're ready!"

We met up with the others on the subway, and mine and Riley's parents left us in another cart. It's a short walk to the rec centre, where we catch up with some kids from school also heading there. I pull Riley close to me, "Just how many people know about tonight?"

She grins sweetly, "Well, we had to fill up the room, didn't we?" I just laugh, shaking my head, honestly surprised that so many people recognised me.

The centre has five event rooms upstairs, which is where we go. Downstairs, there's a trampoline park as well as an indoor skate park, and the signage informs me about a third floor reserved for offices and business function rooms. We get directed to the third room, with the sign 'Maya Hunter' plastered on the door. By this time, there are already about ten other people behind us, and a handful waiting inside, typical party music thumping throughout the venue. The first room is the only exception, with young kids running around inside and tired looking parents packing up their things.

I spend the first fifteen minutes receiving birthday wishes, most people also dropping a present onto the table beside me. I truly didn't expect anything, considering that we aren't kids anymore and presents aren't payment to be invited. Not like this was an invite-only thing – Riley told me that she just spread the word around the high school and we'd wait to see how many people made an appearance.

There's some basic food and drink on the opposite wall, the supplies already depleting as people dig in and then move onto bouncing in a pit to the music. After a while, with maybe sixty or seventy rowdy teenagers filling up body space in the dark room, I lean on a wall to catch my breath.

"You must be popular."

I can't help but to smile and play with my hair. I turn towards Josh, his face distorted by the predominantly blue lighting. "Only naturally." Then as an afterthought, "Did you only just get here?"

He shakes his head, "No, I've been here for nearly ten minutes. I didn't want to barge up on you while you were with your friends."

"Well, I'm surprised you came. I mean, why not go to some cooler college party instead?"

"What, and miss out on your birthday? No way."

I turn away from him a little, pressing my hand to my burning cheek. "You wanna come dance?"

"Sure!"

I spend a solid half hour alternating dancing with my best friends and Josh before the music gets turned down a little and a voice crackles through a microphone. "Maya Hunter and guests, please make your way to the food and drink table as it's time for cake."

I shake my head. Cake? I figured that if it happened at all, it wouldn't be around so many people. Riley brushes my shoulder as she and Farkle head across the room, his hand around her waist while undoubtedly whispering filthy things in her ear. For whatever reason, I struggle to walk over there, taking my sweet time as my peers jostle each other and shout over the noise.

A hand glides over my lower back, causing me to shiver. "Sorry, just getting past," some senior boy says, but his eyes linger a moment too long. I force a smile, "All good. Thanks for coming." I decide there to get out of the crowd and meet Mom and Shawn at the table. They both smile broadly at me before lighting the two candles pressed into the middle of the very large, double-layered rectangular cake.

"What're you wishing for this year, Maya?" Riley asks, having to come close. I shrug, honestly not knowing. I've got great friends, Mom's happy with Shawn, I'm not pining over a boy that doesn't like me back, and tonight has been amazing. I've had so much fun just fooling around and dancing and being with the people that value me for me. Yes, it's cheesy, but I don't think I have anything to wish for that is on the level of a birthday wish.

An off-key rendition of Happy Birthday breaks out, and I catch Josh's eyes. He shakes his head playfully while he adjusts his hair. I smile at him before leaning over to blow out the candles, general whoops and cheers deafen me before the music blares once again and Shawn hands me a sharp knife. "Happy birthday, kiddo."

One of the staff members takes over portioning the cake after I've glided the knife through the jam-filled sponge cake. I waltz over to Josh, paper plate in hand and offer him the slice of cake. We sit together against a wall, and I decide to ignore the slight stickiness under me for the sake of my aching feet. Heels probably weren't the best option for tonight.

"So, I couldn't help but notice a guy before... You got a boyfriend?" Josh asks in a jokey way, nudging my shoulder with his, but he seems genuinely curious. I wish he'd been more specific so that I could correct him, but I haven't got a clue where he's coming from.

"What guy? Because, no, there's no boyfriend."

Josh nods, "Good to know."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I straighten my legs out, shifting as a way to cause a mild distraction.

He seems to struggle for words before standing up. I stand up beside him, loving that I seem less short in the heels. "Don't worry about it. Now, you have maybe an hour left here, so go have fun and celebrate being sixteen!"

"Only if you come with." I grab his hand and push through the clusters of people once again, unable to stop my eyes from rolling at the couples clung together as though they were each other's life support. I do as Josh said and try to celebrate, but his words ring in my head. Good to know? I thought he wanted us to live our lives, wait and see where we might meet up again. Why would he say that?

By 10.45 the rec centre staff do their level best to prompt us out, probably so they can clean up and get home. I hate the secluded stairs, but flat-out refused to step near the tiny elevators when so many people, both from my party and others, were riding up and down. My friends said they'd meet me outside, to which I agreed as it felt mean to force them into the smelly stairwell. Mum and Shawn said that they would walk with me, but they were shifting around with the two boxes of gifts, so I sent them to the elevator in hopes to make it easier.

I'm only a few steps down before I the door up top opens again. I instinctively turn around and somehow recognise the guy from earlier, the one who brushed against my back. "Hey," He grins, bouncing down the stairs. "Great party."

I tuck my hair behind my ears, laughing, "Can't say I can take any credit for it."

He nods and matches my pace as I continue down. His hand rests on my back again and I freeze, causing him to push me a little as he continues to walk down. He turns back and smiles warmly, "I can't believe we haven't spoken before tonight. You're a stunner, Maya."

I step sideways, distancing myself as much as I can on the narrow staircase, "Um... thanks."

He's suddenly in front of me, preventing me from walking down. An inexplicable panic takes over as a result, and I just want to turn back, but I really don't want to piss him off. I wish that I'd followed everyone else. Or found someone to walk with me. "I'm Colton, by the way." His tan hand grabs mine, his eyes consuming me as he takes another step up, leaving almost no space between us.

"Look, Colton," I wrench my hand away and back up, "I don't know you. Seriously, if you touch me again, you'll regret it. Now, if you don't mind, get out of my way."

He just laughs teasingly, "I like them feisty." And he doesn't move.