Eighteen

Riley and I are sitting in her bay window as I rehash in immense detail the events of last night, from meeting Josh at the subway station to getting taken home by Shawn. There is light rain pattering down on the fire escape outside, watering her new flowers and soothing the sky. This is my favourite type of weather at the moment, gentle raindrops replacing the harsh bite of snow. Don't get me wrong, I like the silence of snow and how it can blanket the noise, but in New York City, pure white snow doesn't last very long. But in the misty rain, I feel at peace and colours seem so much brighter. I'm sure that, come summer, I'll only be wanting sunshine and warmth, but right now I'm content.

"Come on, don't tell me he didn't kiss you!" Riley gasps.

"We are being very chaste," I say sternly, trying not to giggle, "just testing the waters and seeing where things go."

"I bet you wanted him to kiss you," Riley sings, teasing me with a tap on the nose.

I struggle to bite back my smile as I respond, "Maybe so. But it didn't happen."

"Do you think he would have if Shawn wasn't there?" She seems to be containing a squeal, her eyes moving frantically over my face.

I grin, "I hope so. I was definitely getting that vibe toward the end of the night."

Riley nods, "Dads can be such buzzkills."

"Indeed they can." I shake my head slightly, leaning back as I laugh.

"You know," Riley says slowly, a cheeky grin on her face, "I could always ask Josh what he was going to do."

I sit bolt upright, mouth like a canyon in my horror, "You wouldn't!"

"Well, I'm very hormonal these days and it makes me incredibly reckless." The bubbly lift in her voice makes me nervous, and I find myself scrambling over top of her as she reaches for her phone.

"Do not!"

Riley laughs brightly, swatting at me, "Okay, okay, I won't. Not now, at least." She winks clumsily before pushing me off properly and fidgeting around to get comfortable.

"How's the baby?" I ask randomly, convinced that I can see her bump now despite her mere two and a half month development.

"The baby's fine," she shrugs, "It's just making me look bloated all the time. Nothing looks right on me."

"Get used to that," I say, scrunching my face sympathetically as I pat her knee, "And how are you doing in general?"

"Well, I have to go back to school tomorrow, so I'd say pretty lousy." Riley groans, "Have people been talking about me?"

"A little. But only out of curiosity and concern, nothing malicious."

"Oh. Okay." Her fingers twitch and I can tell she's struggling. "Can you promise not to say anything if I tell you this?"

"Go for it." A dark, scary pit grows in my stomach in the moments that Riley pauses to collect her thoughts. She could say literally anything and I have to be extremely careful with how I react.

"So... I haven't actually told Farkle that I'm pregnant. I chickened out."

I feel my eyes bug out of their sockets. I swallow dramatically, nodding intensely as I try to make sense of it. "But you said..."

"I know, but I couldn't tell him!"

"Riley!"

"I know, it's stupid but I'm so scared."

I grab her cheeks and squish her face, "I know you are, but you will tell him, right?" I make her nod.

"Fine," she groans, not bothering to pull away, "I'll tell him at the end of the week. But you can't say anything to anyone because I don't need them knowing just yet, okay? Mom has me booked in for an ultrasound at 12 weeks, so I guess I'll break the news then."

I don't agree with waiting another week but I don't contradict her plans. Assuming that nothing happens between now and the weekend, this one week shouldn't matter. I give Riley a quick hug and then put on some music from my phone. We dance around and sing too loudly, ending up in a giggling heap. Topanga pokes her head around the door, her reaction making us laugh even harder.

She swallows a laugh, "Come on, girls, lunchtime."

We head out and sit with her family around the dining table, helping ourselves to sandwiches and fruit. Cory smiles gratefully at Topanga as he sips his water, then he turns his attention to Riley.

"Have you done all of your catch up work for tomorrow?"

"Yes, Dad," she sighs, pulling a face.

"Great!" He claps his hands once and then jumps with glee as Shawn rings over the intercom to bring me home.

"Oh, here we go," Topanga says, rescuing the glass moments before disaster.

AN: So, how are we feeling about things at the moment? Another chapter should be coming within the next few days (as long as I don't get sidetracked before posting) and I hope that you enjoy.