Part 33

Jughead pov

With widened eyes I watched the scene and was startled to realize that I was afraid. Not because of my mother, but because of the fact that Betty was holding a gun in her hand and pointing it at my mother. It wasn't her that scared me, but the thought of what would happen to her if she really pulled the trigger. I didn't want her to have to do something that terrible because of me or anyone else and that would break her afterwards.

"Betty, don't do it." I whispered through the silent room, trying to persuade her, to keep her innocence.

"Jug, I have to do it. She deserves it." I felt her voice crack, felt that she would break inside if she killed her. I couldn't let her do something so horrible, no matter if Gladys deserved it.

"Betts listen to me, she's not worth it. She's not worth anything, it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Believe me, I don't want her in my life as much as you do, but not this way, not by your hands." Her hand began to shake and I knew my words were making her think about what it would do to her soul. My mother, however, obviously had a death wish, because she grinned and began to laugh derisively.

"I knew you wouldn't have the guts to kill me. You're just as pathetic as Jughead, you two deserve each other." It was disgusting to see what an evil, sneaky woman my mother was. She was completely insane. Betty, on the other hand, looked like she was finally seeing clearly. The grip on the gun stabilized again and she took a few steps toward Gladys. My breath caught as I tried to go to her, but for some reason Fangs held me back with a shake of his head.

"I don't know why you are the way you are, but I do know that Jughead and Jellybean will be glad to be rid of you forever. You obviously think you can have it all, but you're wrong. The Serpents would never have followed you, whether you killed Jughead or not, because they love, trust and respect each other. Things you could never do. Of course you're right that I won't kill you because it's not what you deserve. You deserve to burn in hell and watch your life pass while you wait to die. I will never let you hurt Jughead or anyone else again, I give you my word on that." I was absolutely speechless. Nothing could have described what I felt at that moment and what happened next amazed me deeply. Betty nodded to some of my men and ordered them to tie up Gladys and her followers. Without the slightest protest or glance at me, they obeyed and did as they were ordered. Even Sweet Pea looked at me with raised eyebrows while a small grin formed on his face. Betty radiated a power that brought everyone to their knees and made me incredibly proud. This state changed quickly, however, when apparently the adrenaline disappeared from her body and she fell ungently to the ground. I could hear my mother screaming in the background as the Serpents took her away, when I rushed to Betty to see if she was okay.

"Baby are you okay?" I asked anxiously, brushing a strand of hair from her face as I looked at her expectantly.

"Juggie I'm fine, just a little exhausted. Lets go home please."

After Fangs talked to Kevin, who then talked to his father the sheriff, Sweet Pea, Betty and I left this nightmare and went back to the Whyte Wyrm without further ado.

"There's a crowd waiting for you inside, are you ready for it?" asked Sweep Pea, visibly worried, as we stood in front of the bar to catch our breath.

"Pea, I and also Betty don't have the strength for exuberant joy. I think it would be better if we were alone for now." I told him in an exhausted voice and he nodded before opening the door and we entered. He wasn't lying about the number of people, they were all there. Before we were even inside and the first ones saw us, everyone started cheering and celebrating. Everybody was excited and rushed to us, but Sweet Pea stopped them by raising his voice for a moment.