Take Care

Rex perceives the effect that Even Piell's death has on his Commander.

///

"Oh, no."

Kenobi's voice was soft, and Rex was almost surprised that he could hear him over the blood rushing through his ears.

He turned his head, expecting a few squads of commando droids to be approaching them, but the sight he saw instead was somehow more terrifying.

"Good Force," Fives muttered through the in-helmet communication channel, speaking for them all as Ahsoka came into view, a body over her shoulder.

Rex noticed it was the first time Fives had addressed his brothers directly since Echo died.

There was a limp to Ahsoka's step that wasn't there before, and Rex cursed himself a dozen times for not refusing to stay with her and General Piell when the droids started closing in. The older Jedi Master gave them a direct order to keep moving, and Rex obeying that order resulted in the man's death.

Ahsoka's eyes were hollowed. On Christophsis, her eyes were bright, full of innocent youthfulness that was so uncommon to find in a warzone. Over the war, her eyes had dimmed, but now, they were the dullest Rex had ever seen them.

His HUD flickered, an incoming message from Cody directly, "Left hip."

Rex glanced at Ahsoka, noticing the dark stain through her tunic. Blood.

"Copy that." He told the Marshal Commander, making a silent promise to examine her injury as soon as possible. Cody cared for the girl like a little sister, and Rex felt a resembling echo- no, stop thinking about him- of concern ripple through his men as Ahsoka walked closer.

Everyone gathered closer as Ahsoka walked towards her Master, eyes glued to the ground. Rex had been in her position before, bringing a dead trooper back to the rest of the men. It didn't feel nice- carrying a body whilst everyone watched.

He shifted his gaze to meet Cody's visor, not wanting to add to Ahsoka's stress. Usually, Ahsoka like being the centre of attention, but not in this circumstance. Never like this.

Rex looked back at Ahsoka just in time to see her eyes lift up to meet her Master's as he lifted Piell's body off her shoulder. Lanniks were small by nature, and Ahsoka had a lot of upper body strength, but Rex still pressed his lips into a line- resisting the urge to run forwards and help her.

Skywalker's expression was stony, and he was probably wearing a scowl because the most important part of this mission was now dead, but Rex could see the effect that his expression had on Ahsoka.

She fell to her knees, and Rex almost lurched forwards to catch her.

"He died honourably." Ahsoka said, her head down in shame. Rex felt something snap in his chest, and for a moment, he forgot how to breathe as Skywalker towered over her.

"What about the information?" Skywalker asked, still quiet, but less soft.

Rex took a step forwards, only for Cody to speak through the comm, "Wait until the Jedi are gone."

Trust his closest vod to know what his intentions were. Years of serving alongside Ahsoka had taught Rex about her cues, and right now, he knew she needed someone solid to hold her. Skywalker wasn't stepping up to help, so Rex was the next best thing.

He had to wait. Karkin Tarkin already saw Ahsoka as weak- who knew what he would think if he saw her clone Captain hugging her.

"I have it." Ahsoka said, her voice flat. Rex felt her pain of having to focus on the mission instead of the dead man on the ground. "He told me just before he died."