Chapter 29

*                *              *

My heart stammered as I looked out the window of my living room. Ace pulled up slowly, a little rough but carefully. I raised an eyebrow when he got out of his hummer. Glancing at Trish and Evan, who were now snuggling up on the couch, I walked quietly to the front door and went outside, closing it behind me.

Ace approached me, watching me carefully.

"So you wanted to talk to me in person?" I asked.

He nodded. "No arguments. No fighting or disagreeing. Nothing."

"Oh boy," I sighed and glanced away.

"I want to ask you something," He initiated, looking extremely serious.

"Huh?" I looked up at him. He only stood a few feet away.

"Are you seeing Drew?" He asked me. No detecting of hesitation was present in his voice. My heart rate sped up as I looked at him. I wrinkled my nose and gave him a dumbfounded look. Is he serious? Or is he joking?

"What?" I spat out. It was all I could say in response.

"Just answer the question, Ellie."

"No! Why would I be seeing—"

"I was just asking," His look became sharp and cold, and it gave me instant chills.

"Okay," I nodded, remembering to not argue. "Any other questions?" I said through gritted teeth.

He thought for a moment. "No. Do you have any for me?"

I shook my head. I looked him up and down, skeptical. He was wearing jeans and a black V-neck shirt. He looked so hot today, but I wasn't going to tell him that. Ace and I are long done. As much as it pains me to say that. But even if I can't stand him right now, even if I want to yell, as much as it pains me...

"Look Ace, I'm hoping we can still be friends." I bought up, something fluttering in my heart.

He straightened his back and raised his eyebrows. He just watched me, as if trying to read me. I tried my best to keep my face still and unreadable. But he didn't give up. He eyed me, his lips pressed together. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Friends." He repeated, still watching me carefully with those intense brown eyes that felt like they were burning holes through mine.

"Yeah," I thought about it for a moment. "Unless, you don't want to be that either? Because..."

"No. I do." He sighed. "I mean, I don't want to be friends. But—"

"Well, sorry for suggesting it." I narrowed my emerald green eyes at him, my heart breaking just a little.

"No. That's not what I meant." He took a deep breath and he glanced at his truck.

I studied him. He pushed his hand in his pocket and drew out his cell phone. He looked at it for a second and turned back to his truck. Then he looked ahead at my house. Then, he glanced down on my walkway. He looked at anywhere but me.

"Okay, well..." I took slow steps back to my door. "I'll...see you later then."

"Um, sure." He finally looked at me again, his eyes reflecting something. He put his phone back in his pocket. Then, he balled up his fists that were at his sides. It was as if he were mentally fighting with himself about something.

"Good bye." I waved gently but still I stayed in place.

"Right." He nodded and cleared his throat, releasing his fists. "Bye."