Chapter 22

*                      *                       *

"She's crying," I said over the loud music to Fallon, "Why is that?"

Fallon stood back against the wall, her arms crossed. We were completely calm at a house party that we were invited to by one of Ace's old friends from that private school that almost everyone went to who happened to be friends with the people at our school. The private school was located down the street from my dad's work office. The guy who's throwing the party's name is Talen Scott. Did I mention that Rosaline's here also? I ignored the music and didn't even dance along with it, I was just staring down Rose, who was talking to one of her girl friends and wiping tears. I watched her lips move, and I swear that one of the things she had said was 'Ace is here'. 

"It's so like her though, Ellie." Fallon told me in a bored voice, "Daddy's little princess doesn't get what she wants. She's not satisfied. She's crying."

"I don't think it has anything to do with that." I tell her. We start to walk over to a couch and sit down, far away from the crowd of dancing and grinding hormonal teens. I grab a can of beer from the cooler of other drinks. I take my sip while trying to process what's happening. Drew and Ace were with David out back at the pool. I heard that Matt, David's boyfriend, is supposedly here too. Hmm.

"Oh, come on, it's obvious." Fallon shares out loud to me, her long blond hair over her shoulders and covering her boobs. "Where have you been for the past hour? On cloud nine? Look, Rosaline's been trying to talk to Ace and he's just having a good time, in a good mood, just avoiding her."

"Oh," I suddenly feel weird talking about this. I took a sip of my beer.

"Anyway, I remember you telling me the situation about Gale being in love with you last weekend, and I can't seem to get it off my mind. Who do you love more? Gale...or the gentleman Ace?" She raised her eyebrows and with that, I knew she was being sarcastic.

"I love Gale," I admit to her, "Just not like that."

"Hm." Fallon considered this, and then she just sat with her hands in her laps. "Hey, let's go and find our boyfriends!"

"Boyfriends?" I chuckled. "Ace and I...we aren't dating." 

It seemed like when I came back from Calabasas last weekend, and throughout the entire school week that has just passed, he's been trying to ask me out. I could just tell by how he initiated his conversations with me. Then, I'd observe how nervous he got and how he'd back out of asking. It upset me and frustrated me, but I was willing to be patient.

"Yeah but you two will be soon!" Fallon claims.

I rolled my eyes and we go through the back of the house, through the sun room, and out onto a huge patio with others jumping in the pool, all wild and what not. A guy standing off to the side was grilling burgers. Fallon waved to me and went over to Drew, who was just sitting at a table, talking with his cousin David and Matt. Ace however, is nowhere to be found. 

I looked around confusingly until my eyes landed on the guy who was grilling. He eyed me for a second, and nodded his head, urging me to come over. I didn't want to be mean. So with my can of beer, I walk over to him with a smile on my face.

"Can I help you?" I ask nicely. 

"Yeah, can you answer one question for me?" He smiled, his green eyes twinkling. He had nice brown hair that swept over his forehead perfectly, with nice thin lips and a nice body. He was wearing a 'kiss the cook' apron. I wanted to laugh but I tried to hold it in.

"Yeah. Sure." I shrugged my shoulders, my eyes melting into his.

"Are you enjoying yourself so far?" He raised an eyebrow, while asking.