Fifteen

Give Heaven Some Hell - HARDY

"Hunt. Johnathan Hunt." Dani says as she rushes to the front desk. "I'm his daughter."

"He's in room 220." The nurse responds.

"Thank you, ma'am." Morgan says as they rush to his room.

"Dad? Daddy?" She gasps when she sees John lying in a hospital bed. "What happened?"

"One of the inmates pulled a knife on another and I got caught in the middle of it." He responds weakly. She sits next to him, brushing his light hair back.

Hardy stands in the doorway as Morgan stands behind Dani. She looks just like her dad; the same hair and blue eyes, the same dimple but she definitely doesn't have his big nose or his big bushy beard.

"So, are you okay?" She asks quietly.

"Yeah, baby, I'm fine." He smiles. "They just gotta make sure he didn't hit my lung." He coughs, it's that nasty smokers cough from thirty years of smoking. "Wallen, good to see you again." He nods to his daughters fiancé. "You must be Michael Hardy."

"Yes sir, that I am." He extends his hand out for a shake. "Your daughter is a blessin'."

"She's all me, that's for damn sure." He teases, smiling at his only child. "Thank god for that huh?" She chuckles, wiping away some tears. "Why in the world are you cryin', babygirl?"

"It's just been an emotional rollercoaster, these past months." She sighs, waving her hand. "When- uh- when are you able to leave?"

"I'm not sure. I'll ask them when they get back." She pats his hand. "I love you. I love you so much, baby."

"I love you too, daddy."

"Get on outta here, I'll be fine."

"No." She shakes her head. "I'm stayin here."

"No, seriously." John says. "You look real tired."

"Thanks daddy." She rolls her eyes.

"Can you go ask the nurse when I can leave?" He asks her. "It's startin' to pick at me."

"Sure." She stands to track down a nurse.

Once the door is closed, John turns to his daughters fiancé. "Listen to me, Morgan. That guy hit my lung, punctured it and I'm not gonna make it. I asked them to, y'know, not fix it or to tell her anything." His face falls. "I need you to take care of her. Promise me, boy." Morgan nods, his heart breaking. "And you, she'll need you too." He says to Hardy. "Y'all are my daughters life now. I love that girl more than anyone- anything in the entire goddamn world. Don't break her heart. Don't let her go- don't you dare hurt her." He forces out, his words wheezing from his damaged lungs.

"Yes, sir." Morgan whispers, blinking away tears. "Absolutely."

"Thank you. Don't mess this up- Don't fuck this up. That girl is the best thing that's ever happened to me." He says sternly. "Take care of her. Take good care of my little girl." The two boys nod, tears in their eyes.

Dani returns. "They wouldn't tell me anything." She whispers, looking at the three silent guys with tear stained cheeks that are sniffling in front of her. "What? What- What's wrong?"

"Come have a seat, baby." John breathes, looking at the boys, silently telling them to leave which they do, heading out to the hallway to sit on the floor across from the room.

+++

Morgan has his arms around Daniella as she sobs loudly, not holding anything back with her face buried in his shoulder. Her dad had passed a few hours later, his little girl by his side. He told her everything she needed to know about the house, he even told her he had money hidden in there specifically for her. Morgan rubs her back as she cries, her hand gripping his shirt tightly. "God, I am so sorry." He whispers in a broken voice, tears of his own rolling down his cheeks.