Five

Whatcha Know 'Bout That - Morgan Wallen

Morgan and Dani drive separately to Sneedville, it's about an hour and half away. She keeps looking in her rearview mirror at Morgan who's head bopping to some radio music, his truck doesn't have USB or Bluetooth. She smiles to herself as she pulls into the dirt drive that leads to her wood plank house. She's home. Morgan parks behind her. "What're you doin' here?" She asks, grabbing her duffle from the hatchback.

"Makin' sure you get home safe." He says as he takes her bag off her shoulder. They get to the front porch and he opens the door for her.

"Thanks." She smiles, stepping in. "Hey!" She gives her dad a hug, standing on her toes to wrap her arms around his neck.

"Daniella!" He shouts, squeezing her tightly. "Babygirl, I missed you. It's been too long."

"I'm here now." She says as she takes a seat at the table. "Morgan made sure I got home safe."

"Good. How's school goin'?"

"Real good. I'm almost done with my four years then I gotta take two more years then I am a full blown lawyer."

"That's so excitin'." Morgan stands awkwardly in the kitchen. "C'mon boy, sit down." He smiles slightly as he sits next to his ex-girlfriend. "How's it going with your roommate?"

"Actually, him and Morgan were working on a song last night."

"What happened to baseball?"

"I tore my rotator cuff before the university signed me." He sighs. "Cost me my college career."

"But he's been writin' music. He's on the radio." Morgan smiles to himself. "That, uh, summer song."

"It's called 7 Summers." He leans back in a chair. "And Hardy and I- we wrote another one yesterday."

"It's real good too."

"Well, I might have to listen to it some time if my babygirl likes it." Morgan blushes and nods. "So why are you in town, Wallen?"

"I bought that house off Jack Trent."

"Really? You bought that?" He nods. "Well I have to say, I'm proud of that."

"Well thank you." He smiles. "It's not a college diploma but it's still a big thing."

"Stop comparin' yourself to me." She whispers. "You're doin' great on your own." He rolls his eyes causing her to glare at him. "Seriously, stop."

Her dad holds up his phone. "I gotta take this..." he says awkwardly, walking out.

"Your phone didn't even ring!" She calls after him, sighing loudly. "Morgan, you have to stop saying that your life is shit because you didn't go to college!" She's pacing around the kitchen now. "You're doing great with your music-"

"It's shit because I lost you!" He suddenly shouts back, standing. "You're goin' to college without me and I'm here without you."

"You never told me you weren't going until I was moved in. That was dirty on your part."

"Okay, I'm sorry." He huffs, she scoffs then starts to walk away. "Where're you going?"

"Upstairs." She snaps. He grabs her hand and pulls her back, pressing her against the counter, his blue eyes narrow down at her.

"I thought things would be back to normal when you came back, I thought we could give us a second chance," He whispers, his lips close to her ear. "We'd be together like we were before you left." She looks up at him with a fire he hasn't seen in years. His belly tightens as he pushes any sexual thoughts out of his head.