Five Months Later

So just to clarify: this chapter (and the rest of the story) takes place five months after the prologue. However, this is nearly a year after the end of Bound. There were about six months between Bound and the prologue. Hope this isn't insanely confusing 😂

It took a while for the kingdom to be at peace enough to lift the ban on magic. With every little new change there seemed to be riots. When Morgana was allowed to live in Camelot there was nearly a civil war. She even had to wear the cuffs, but the people had no trust for her. It was almost a wonder that she survived. After that, Arthur slowly started to accept magic in the kingdom. It started with him not going after sorcerers unless they had done something wrong. Then, rumors started to be heard throughout the kingdom that he had been meeting with the druids. People had even begun to grow suspicious of Merlin after seeing him walking through town with Morgana. In addition, Merlin started to almost lead the charge when the knights went after magical threats. Of course, these were all rumors. For months the kingdom was stirring with excitement and anxiety over what was happening in the kingdom.

Nearly five months after Uther's death, the fateful day arrived. Arthur announced to the whole kingdom that magic would no longer be outlawed in Camelot. He also announced that he would be appointing a Court Sorcerer to help ensure order was kept in the kingdom. He also said that this was already a trusted ally in the kingdom.

Now, Merlin was pacing in Arthur's chambers getting ready for possibly the most nerve-wracking day of his life; and this is after being kidnapped! Arthur was helping him get ready when Arthur finally got fed up with Merlin's building nerves.

"Will you please stop pacing?! Everything will be fine!"

"Will it though? Already rumors are spreading that you've been enchanted. What's to say that the people won't try to kill me the first chance they get?"

"Merlin, you are literally the most powerful sorcerer ever to walk the earth. Plus, you will have the knights protection as a member of my council. No one can touch you."

"I was the most powerful sorcerer a year ago too. That didn't stop Edith."

That's right. Arthur had nearly forgotten. It had been almost a year since they were captured by Edith and Merlin was forced to do despicable things with his magic. Of course he's on edge.

"Merlin, I need you to stop and look at me."

Reluctantly, Merlin stopped pacing and turned to face Arthur, still looking at the ground. Arthur put his hand on his friend's shoulder reminding him to look up.

"You're safe. Magic is now legal in Camelot, we haven't heard from Edith in almost a year, and you're about to take your rightful place in Camelot. There will be people all around you keeping you safe. Heck, even Morgana will be there, which I know you will appreciate."
Merlin starts to turn red.
"The point is, we're all here for you: Morgana, Gaius, Guinevere, myself. Everything that happened, we'll always be there to make sure nothing like that ever happens again; there to make sure that you'll never be alone again. Trust us as we trust you."

Merlin gave a small smile, appreciating the king's words. It's rare that Arthur truly shows that he cares.

"I do trust you. I trust all of you with my life."

"Then on that note, let's get this ceremony over with, shall we?"

***

The ceremony basically went smoothly. No one did anything stupid. When Merlin walked in the room most people were stunned. There were many gasps and whispers, but nothing drastic. After he was officially named Court Sorcerer the applause was hesitant and quiet. On the bright side Gaius, Hunith, Gwen, Morgana, and the knights were all happily cheering on their friend.

After the ceremony there was a small feast. The group was made up of all those that were there supporting Merlin. They laughed, they told stories, and Merlin and Morgana even got to show off some of their magic. As the night went on, people began to retire for the night. Merlin offered to walk Morgana back to her chambers before heading off to bed himself.

"So, Emrys the Court Sorcerer."

"Merlin," he corrects, "just Merlin. Did I do okay?"

"You did fine. Besides all you really have to do is kneel and stand up at the right times."

"Not true! I also had to say like four words!"

Morgana chuckled.
"You're ridiculous."

"You would get bored if I wasn't."

"That's true," she smiled.

They walked in silence for a minute. Morgana then cleared her throat to gain Merlin's attention.

"So, I talked to your mother."

"Oh?" Merlin felt a hint of worry build up in him.
"How did that go?"

"It went well. She didn't really know me during... that time... so she still seemed to like me. Actually she asked about us."

"...what about us?"

"About what's going on between us," she smirked knowingly.

"Ah... I guess we're not doing too well on keeping things quiet."

"Really? Arthur knew there was something going on before even I did! And apparently he told you."

"That's right!" Merlin laughed.
"Thus was the start of many long conversations in the cells."

"Well, I guess I needed the company anyways."

They reached Morgana's room, and she turned and thanked him for escorting her. She looked around to see that no one was in the hallway before taking his hand. She could feel magic pulsating through her as their hands met.

"Are we still on for practice tomorrow morning?" He asked.

"Of course! Meet me at the training field at dawn, and don't be late!"

"When am I ever late?" He joked.

She shook her head at the ground, still smiling. She looked up again to find that he was already looking at her. They looked into each other's eyes for a moment, until they realized that there were people still mulling about the castle. Merlin squeezed her hand.

"Goodnight Morgana."

"Goodnight Merlin."