A Promise

"The Crystal Cave?" Merlin wondered.
"Why there?"

"The Crystal Cave is the heart of all magic. It is where magic first began. To find your true power, that is where you must go. From there the crystals will lead the way," Iseldir said.

"But that place... last time I was there all it caused was suffering. And how will I know what to do when I get there? I can't control the crystals-"

"But you may not have a choice," Gaius interjected.
"This could be the difference of victory or defeat."

"Emrys," Iseldir started, "this moment has been foretold for centuries. You must discover yourself, or the battle will be lost before it's begun."

Merlin looked down trying to hide the fear and apprehension written all over his face. Of course he had to do this, but what would become of him afterwards? Would he be a completely different person? Or would he get lost in the crystals' visions and end up more hopeless than before? He tried to slow the thoughts racing through his head before he felt a hand on his shoulder. Merlin looked up to find Arthur's eyes piercing his own.

"Merlin, whatever you decide I will stand by you."

Any doubt that plagued his mind disappeared. If this is what it takes to save his king, his best friend, then so be it.

"I'll go," Merlin looked at the group confidently.

"Merlin," Gwen start worriedly, "are you sure-"

"Yes. I'm going. It is my duty to protect Camelot and its king."

Gwen, Iseldir, and Gaius nodded their heads in acceptance and Arthur gave him a warm smile filled with pride.

"I'm going with you," Morgana insisted.

"No. This is something I must do alone."

"Hold on," Arthur interrupted. "You're not going alone. I'm sending a few of the knights with you."

"Where I'm going swords will be of no consequence. I can already take down a small army without them, and it could be dangerous for those without magic."

"Then take me with you!" Morgana tried again. "We already know that our magic is stronger together. I can help."

"No. You need to be here by Arthur's side. We will need someone here to help lay battle plans and work out a strategy for fighting with the Druids. You are the best to represent Camelot in this."

"As much as I want to disagree, he's right," Arthur agreed.
"I need you here. Someone has to be Court Sorcerer in his absence. Although, I do still believe that you should take someone with you."

Morgana still looked like she wanted to protest, but she let it drop for now. Merlin decided not to respond to Arthur's last statement. He was going alone whether Arthur liked it or not.

"I'll leave today. If I make good time I should get to the cave about midmorning tomorrow and hopefully I'll be back by sunset."

"Alright. Everyone go prepare yourselves. We will meet back here in two hours to discuss battle plans. You're dismissed."

As everyone was walking out, Arthur grabbed Merlin by the arm. Merlin looked back somewhat startled.

"You know you may be the most stubborn person I have ever met in my life," Arthur jested.

"Well I have to be to put up with you!"

"Is there anything I can do to convince you to at least take Lancelot with you?"

"Nope," Merlin smirked.

Arthur sighed.
"Well then good luck. I expect to see you back here tomorrow evening."

"You will," Merlin smiled.

Arthur patted him on the back before Merlin left. Not at all to his surprise, Morgana was waiting for him in the hallway. He started walking towards her chambers, with Morgana on his tail.

"Merlin, I know those woods like the back of my hand. Morgouse lived near the Valley of the Fallen Kings. There could be bandits!"

"All the more reason why you should stay here."

"Are you listening to yourself right now? You want to go out, alone, into possibly bandit infested woods into a cursed area of the forest! I can help you! You know that our magic is stronger together."

"And even so my magic is still strong. I've already defeated countless threats against Camelot, and this won't be any different."

"Then I'm coming! If you're going to be fine anyways then I don't see the point in keeping me here!"

"For the last time Morgana, you are not coming. I will sneak out if I have to, but you need to stay here. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I'm putting you in unnecessary danger."

"You're putting yourself in unnecessary danger! We will have hundreds of druids fighting by our side. Not to mention myself and the 'most powerful warlock ever to walk the earth.'  The crystals hurt you last time; what's to say they won't do that again?"

"Morgana, I have to do this. The prophecies say that I have yet to find my true power. I was going to have to face this eventually anyways, so I might as well face it now. Besides, we could use the advantage."

Merlin tried to keep his focus on where he was walking. He didn't exactly know why, but he didn't seem to want to meet Morgana's gaze. Maybe because looking at her would give him a reason to want to stay. Morgana caught on to this game of him not meeting her eyes and decided to put a stop to it.

"Merlin!" She jumped in front of him and stopped, forcing him to stop and look at her. He met her eyes and immediately had to pause.
"Please don't go. I don't care about what this prophecy says; I can't loose you. Or at the very least let me come! You're the only one who understands and if you were to go and not come back I don't know what I would do! Camelot would fall and I'd be alone and-"

She was cut off by his lips meeting hers. Apparently she zoned out as she was rambling because she did not see that coming. After the initial shock she leaned into the kiss and felt magic flowing through her. It was as if her whole body was engulfed in flames, but they didn't burn or even hurt. Then, just as she was growing used to it, she felt Merlin pull away. She looked up to find him already gazing into her eyes.

"What was that?" She asked breathlessly.

"A promise. I'll come back Morgana. I'll always come back to you."

She let a small smile grace her lips.

"You better."

***

"My lady," Edith had just rushed up to the physician's chambers, "everything is prepared for our departure. We have an army waiting for us when we return."

"You've done remarkably well," Morgouse's raspy voice answered.
"I assume Helios and his army arrived as well?"

"Yes. With multiple armies, including nearly a thousand sorcerers, Camelot will certainly be brought to its knees."

"Yes. With Emrys out of the way, we will be unstoppable. Come now; we cannot be late in meeting our favorite warlock."

Morgouse and Edith smirked, looking forward to watching their plan unfold. Then Edith helped Morgouse up, and they headed off to see Merlin.