For the Love of Camelot

Arthur came bursting back into the tent. Since he had left, Guinevere changed into pants and a loose fitting shirt. Despite him repeatedly asking her not to, it seems she would be treating the wounded during the battle. She certainly was stubborn.

"Was Merlin right? Did they find the path?" Guinevere asked.

"Yes. Leon and Percival are leading the charge there. Some of Iseldir's men are with them. The rest are with me."

Guinevere nodded her head, taking in what she knew were the last moments with her husband before the battle. She closed the space between them and they embraced.

"Be careful out there," she said.

"You too."

He gave her a kiss, and then went out to lead the men. Long goodbyes were never good before a battle. Thankfully, he didn't have much time to dwell on it. Gwaine was standing at ready just outside. They walked to the front of Camelot's army.

"You ready, sire?"

"You never call me sire."

"No. But right now you look like you got the title. Usually you're a princess."

Arthur chuckled under his breath.

"I'm ready as I'll ever be Gwaine. I'm glad you'll be beside me."

They looked over the battlefield. The opposing army had yet to appear over the hill, but they were coming. It was only a matter of minutes. Camelot's army stood behind with all the courage and honor the knights were known for, awaiting their leader.

"So... you think strength and courage can really hold off this army as magic lazies his way here?" Gwaine asked.

Arthur had to laugh. He hadn't thought about that day in a while.

"Well, we will need the three of us to win, so I guess we'll have to hope."

"I can think of no one better place that hope in."

Arthur looked at his friend with pride. What he did to gain such loyal friends was beyond him. Arthur reaches out his arm and Gwaine took it, as was the knights custom. Then the king turned to his army.

"For the love of Camelot!"

***

"It's starting!" Merlin said suddenly.

"What?"

"How do you know?" Lancelot asked.

"Magic. I can sense it."

Merlin refocused getting the horses to go faster.

"How long do we have to go?"

"Not long now."

Merlin was using all his might to focus on the task ahead of him. Of course, he had plenty of magic left in store, but his mental focus was wavering. There was something in the back of his mind... something trying to break free. He ignored it and kept going. Soon after, the horses slowed to a stop.

"We should split. Lancelot, keep going Northeast and you will cross Camelot's army. Find Arthur and keep him safe."

He spoke with such authority that Lancelot didn't think to question. After Lancelot had left, Morgana turned to Merlin.

"So what's the plan, Emrys?"

Merlin gave her a look, but proceeded to tell her.
"We're going to ambush Edith's army. There are cliffs surrounding Camlann. From there we can be looking over the battle and assisting. From our vantage point it shouldn't be too difficult to turn the battle."

"Great! Lead the way."

It was not long before the heard the shouting. Merlin was right, again. They could see the cliffs through the tree line. They unmounted their horse and started running towards the battle before a blast brought them both to their knees. Their vision was blurred and their surroundings were unclear. When they fully came to they could no longer see each other. Both were looking into the eyes of their greatest fear.

Edith and Morgouse.