Emrys

"You were right. They intend to meet us at Camlann."

Morgouse rode confidently at Edith's side. She was fully healed with her magic restored. The only evidence of her prior injuries was a few small scars on her face. The high priestesses could see Camelot's army from afar riding towards the pass. It would not be long before their armies collided.

"Yes, it seems I was," Edith replied. "It also looks like Morgana and Emrys have yet to show. Even if he does show, he will be unpredictable. Dangerous, yet vulnerable. We must attack before nightfall. The cover of darkness will be our advantage."

"Yes. Just as they begin to make camp we will march. We will meet them from the front and the back, so they have nowhere to hide. Not even the great Emrys in all his might can save them."

The two high priestesses rode back toward their army. Together they planned for the battle that they were sure to win.

***

Together Merlin and Morgana walked toward the heart of the cave, the light becoming even brighter. From time to time Merlin's head would flinch at the crystals surrounding him. Morgana would give his hand a reassuring squeeze as they kept on. Just before they reached the light, Merlin stopped and took Morgana's other hand in his own. She looked up at him confused.

"I just... before we do this- before I do this- I wanted you to look at you one more time."

"I'm not leaving you, nor are you leaving me. I'll be right by your side every step of the way. Whatever you will face, you will face beside me."

Merlin smiled as he brushed a piece of hair out of her face.

"Together?"

"Together."

Together, they walk into the light. Just as they entered they both felt a chill all throughout their bodies. Whatever force was entering them forced them to let go. They were shrouded by blue light until everything else faded. Neither could see the cave, or each other.

"Merlin."

Merlin turned around in the darkness surrounded by blue light. He found a figure, glowing, standing with a smile on his face.

"Father."

"I'm so proud of you, my son. All your trials have brought you here, to your destiny."

"Where am I?"

"You are still in the cave, but your spirit is in a realm between worlds. A realm of pure magic, from which the crystals were born. It is where your soul was born."

"What does this have to do with finding my true nature?"

"This is your true nature, Emrys. Look around you. Feel the vastness of the magic surrounding you. All of this is inside of you. It is where the universe began, and it is what forever will be."

Merlin closed his eyes and allowed his mind to reach out to everything around him. It was magic; pure and vast and racing uncontrollably. He had never felt such power. It began to prod at his mind, threatening to overwhelm him. He opened his eyes so to not be overtaken by whatever force this was.

"It's a lot," he gasped.

"It is all inside of you. It has just been hidden your entire life, pressed down by your own humanity. But that time is no more. Now you must become what you were always meant to be."

"But... all that power... it can't be inside me. I wouldn't know how to handle it. My magic is overwhelming as it is. Why does everyone seem to think I'm ready for this?"

"My son," Balinor put a hand on Merlin's shoulder, "I know that you feel that it is too much for you. That is why you will not be alone. One has been chosen to help you through this life. Unfortunately, this is not a question of readiness, it is a question of necessity. You have already made me proud my son, and I know you will time and time again."

Merlin sighed and closed his eyes. He could feel the magic pricking at his mind threatening to overtake him. But this had to be done, for Camelot.

"What must I do?" He looked toward his father.

"Close your eyes and focus. You must release any barriers you put up against this magic. You must let it in. Don't be afraid of it. When it is completed there will be someone there to help you, but I will be gone."

"Will I ever see you again?"

"In time yes. But for now, even if you cannot see me I am there. I will always be there, even until the end of time."
Balinor put his hands on Merlin's shoulders facing him.
"Now my son, close your eyes and become who you are meant to be. Become Emrys."

Merlin closed his eyes and could already feel the restless energy surrounding him. Slowly he began to open the door to his mind. Before completely letting himself be taken, he heard a faint,

"I love you, my son."

His defenses broke and magic courses through his system. It was raw and uncontrolled, surrounding every fiber of his being.  He could feel everything. Every part of himself being transformed into something new, something powerful, and something magical. He felt the vibrating, burning energy flow through him until everything came to a halt. He collapsed and succumbed to the darkness as his insides continued to rattle within him.

"Merlin!"