Chapter Twenty-Three~Offers

"So, do you want to start rocking the tent, or should I?" Cassian asks instantly and my eyes roll. "I'm serious, Kaira. It'll be expected." His tone sobers, but that wide, teasing grin doesn't dim for a moment. My lips purse at the thought before I sigh and nod, then start disrobing. Cassian actually balks before turning around while I change into a slip, then march over and pinch his neck. Hard. "Ow!" He swats my hand away while my head shakes.

"It's just a pinch, you baby." I scold before hopping onto the cot and pinching the skin around my thighs as well as over my chest and neck. "When that bruise shows, go out and get us some food while I wait here as a loyal female should."

"Enough." He states and catches my hand to prevent me from making any more marks, then releases me. His eyes take in every mark I've made on myself, the careful placement, as his eyes go hard and his jaw locks.

"You've painted me quite the brute." He says softly and I instantly frown.

"That's respected here. The others—"

"I don't give a damn about the others." He grinds out as I try to puzzle out why there are storm clouds gathering in his eyes. "You've known brutes." He says and I instantly understand. "And I want you to know that I would never—"

"I know, Cassian." I interrupt him and reach out for his hand, squeezing lightly. "I know." He seems to read enough in my eyes to be soothed and nods. "Now, get out there and get some food." I wave him away and his head shakes, but he moves towards the tent flap.

"Keep your daggers close."

"Don't eat the whole of it before you get back." He gifts me a vulgar gesture before slipping out while I lounge back on the cot. My lounging doesn't last long, however, before a male comes bursting in with eyes ablaze. He spots me on the cot and my hands are instantly on my blades as he drinks me in.

"Good to know you like it rough." He bids gruffly as he spots the bruises sprouting over my body. "Didn't hear anything from this tent earlier. Hope you're ready to scream." The male takes another few steps towards me before I let my shadows flare and my wings extend slightly.

"Take one more step towards me and I won't be the one screaming, soldier," I warn, but he only grins.

Then, I'm grinning as the air is filled with his shrill screams as my shadows all but engulf him.

Cassian arrives seconds later with a surprisingly unsullied tray of food and Devlon with him. They step into the tent and take me in still lying on the bed, then the soldier lying unconscious on the floor. Red marks leaking blood are all over his face and his skin is piled under his nails from trying to scratch his eyes out of his skull.

"You took long enough." I bid Cassian as their eyes flick back to me. "Your soldier had bad manners, I'm afraid, but I knocked him out before he could gouge out his eyes. I'm sure the rest will be on their best behavior from now on. After all, this is the tent of their general." Cassian is having a hard time keeping his smile under control as he walks over to me and I slide to the side to give him permission. To his credit, he doesn't hesitate before sliding into place next to me and setting the tray half on both our laps, then slinging his arm over my shoulders. I do my best to ignore Devlon staring at us as I turn so my lips brush Cassian's ear. "Thanks for not eating all the rolls." I barely murmur and his grin is appropriately sultry as Devlon waves a hand outside for others to come in to take the lapsed soldier.

"It was very tempting." He returns and allows the others to hear since they're all staring at us.

"Should I feed you, my lord?" I offer and the glittering humor in Cassian's eyes vanishes. My hand slides the tray completely onto his lap as I curl closer, flashing the bruises on my neck and thigh as I turn to the side. "You need to touch me more. I'm your possession." I barely whisper into his ear before pulling back and grabbing a roll, then pulling it apart in my hands. As I rip it into shreds to feed him, I don't fake my small squeak when he wraps an arm around my waist and tugs me closer.