Chapter Twelve-Waking Nightmare

We reappear beside the lake and Rhys immediately lets out a low chuckle while Feyre smiles at the sound. "You'll be taking the brunt of his pissy attitude tomorrow, Kaira." She warns me and I nod in acceptance while Rhys' shining eyes appraise me.

"I haven't seen anyone get the drop on Cassian in a long time, much less by a rookie. He won't easily forget this, little sister. You may have just gotten yourself mornings of torture rather than training." Rhys warns, but the proud glimmer in his eyes isn't so bad. Azriel comes over with a small smile warming his face as his High Lord no doubt fills him in on our morning activities mind to mind. His eyebrows raise when he looks at me.

"Nice." He comments and I can hear that the word greatly underrepresents how he feels about it. I shrug and his suppressed smile grows a bit. "Are you trying to rile up your trainers today?" The words drift over the bond and I smirk while his hazel eyes swim with humor.

"Happy accident," I respond and he hums then gestures towards the boulder we sat on the other day while looking between Feyre and me. She regards the drop with trepidation while Rhys fights a smile.

"We work on taking off today." He says and Feyre reaches over to pinch Rhys who chuckles.

"No laughing. I'm sure you were anything but graceful when you first started out."

"Azriel and Cassian will tell you that I may not have been graceful, but I was the most naturally gifted. As with most things." He teases and presses a quick kiss to Feyre's cheek before she waves him off with a growing smile.

"Kaira might challenge your title," Azriel says and I shoot him a slightly scolding look. Rhys's brows shoot up as he appraises me and Feyre sighs.

"I have my wings all the time, remember. My muscles, the few that I have, are going to adjust faster than yours." I assure her and she smiles softly at the effort. I look back to Azriel and step forward with my wings tucked tight to my body. "I'll go first so Rhys can get on with the rest of his day."

"So eager to see me go, little sister?" He pouts and my head shakes as Az leads me up to the boulder. It's only fifteen feet, but even from here, I can feel the call to the sky.

"Surely you'd rather spend your day doing something useful?" I ask Rhys while looking at him wrap an affectionate arm around his mate.

"There are many things I'd rather be doing and many things that I should be doing, but it's important to carve out time for the things that bring you joy." Feyre's smile is luminous as she tugs him closer and I look away as I think of the piano all alone in that large house. Untouched. Azriel's fingers graze mine and I look over at his calm, contemplative face with a nod.

"I'm ready," I tell him and he steps a little closer while looking at the path ahead of us.

"You're going to have to bank sharply to get through the trees. Trust your wings and your gut rather than trying to think your way through it. Your reflexes know better than you." He instructs and I soak in each word before taking a breath and step to the ledge. Azriel steps back as I open my wings, wincing a bit at the ache and pull of muscle. My shoulders roll as I let the music of the wind call to me before jumping off the ledge—and instantly get tangled in pine branches.

"I think my title is safe!" Rhys calls up and I huff before just leaping straight off the pine into the wind again. Branches stretch out from either side like hands waiting to grab me, but I push my mind to the side and let my instincts take control. I veer to the side again and again, not cleanly from the feeling of branches and pine needles scraping against me, but I manage to make it to the lakeshore on my feet. I spin around with my wings out and a triumphant grin on my face. I don't bother flying back, I winnow next to Azriel and face him. He nods slowly with a smile on his face.