Chapter Three-Chocolate Makes the Best Friends

The next time I see anyone it's a week later. I can walk normally thanks to the amount of food and water restoring my energy and it feels good that one thing is returning to normal. Even though this body moves differently than my old one. I've taken to roaming the halls to familiarize myself with the house. It's all decorated the same with lavish taste but lived in. There are dining rooms, bedrooms, a library, and one particular room that catches my attention.

It's smaller than most of the others and only contains one thing in the middle of the room surrounded by open air. A piano, the finest I've ever seen, glimmers in the soft daylight just barely starting to leak over the sea to the east. It's been so long since I've even touched a piano and longer since I felt like playing. My feet still carry me to the keys and I sit down as I've been doing for almost my entire life.

My mother was the youngest daughter of a fine lady and she was the one who taught me how to play. Her family wanted nothing to do with my father or us since we were all below her, but our mother did her best to teach us manners. Sometimes even special skills like music. "I think you have to press the keys in order for it to work." A woman's voice drifts over to me and my head snaps towards the door to find a flame given life. Clothed in red from head to toe, a breathtaking woman leans against the doorway with her golden hair braided finely on top of her head. Her skin is golden from days in the sun and I wistfully think back to a time when my skin was that color.

I pull my hands back from the keys as I stand in front of her. "Hello, we haven't met yet. I'm Morrigan. Mor." She greets me kindly before looking me over one last time before stepping forward and wrapping me in her arms. Shock keeps me still as she hugs me and courtesy has me returning the embrace before I realize how nice it is. Mor is warm like a little flame for which she looks. She pulls back and flashes a brilliant smile.

"Kaira." I return softly and try my best to smile a bit. Her eyes shine brighter at the effort as we turn back to the piano.

"Do you play? I haven't heard anyone skilled play in far too long that wasn't an insufferable brag about it." She tells me and slides around the instrument with long fingers skimming over the edge.

"I haven't played for a long while, but when I played, I was near perfect," I tell her and she smirks at my matter-of-fact tone. I practiced every day for so long and when I finally performed for my family, they cried. Even my brothers.

"So even you are a little bit of a brag." She teases and my tiny smile comes a little easier. "Well, should you ever want an audience then you have one person willing to listen. Everyone else is a pain, anyway." She winks at me as if sharing some treasured secret.

"Everyone else?" I ask and her eyes darken slightly as she nods.

"The other two brutes are at the other house being healed and Amren is busy with other things. You and the sisters are the only ones here." She assures me and I wonder if it's that obvious that I don't want to be around a lot of people. Brutes rings in my head and I think back to the one man here that I'd met.

"The winged males that were in that place." I name as the shadows begin creeping closer to me at the mention of them. Mor's eyes sharpen. "They were injured," I recall before the shadows slither over me and whisper softly.

"Illyrian soldiers. Cassian, the dreamer with blood on his hands. Azriel, wearer of shadows. Injured, but not gravely. Already, they grow stronger." They tell me and I nod, committing the names to my memory alongside the faces the shadows gift me. When I look back at Mor as the shadows retreat, the only thing in her rich brown eyes is cautious interest.

"What did the shadows tell you?" She asks with a purposefully light tone and I shrug.

"Cassian and Azriel are regaining their health," I tell her and her eyes widen as she swallows. They mean something to her. "When they're well and if they're willing, could I meet them?" Their wings still stick in my mind and something like interest flickers deep inside me.