Chapter Twenty-Seven - Reg

Reg was confused.

First, he had moved on the one night Liam really could've used his help. It turned out fine, but he still felt bad about it.

Then, when he was reading the paper a couple weeks later, it turned out that Liam had gone missing.

That sucked.

What was confusing, though, was that right after Liam's disappearance, Veronica had decided to move the convention to Reg's new town. It got him a job, sure, but it was...

Different.

The girls seemed stiffer, and sadder. None of them were really putting their hearts into their performance anymore. It was like they were aware of their actions, without actually causing them. Reg tried to talk to them about it, but nobody ever told him anything.

He had taken the night shift, but was surprised to find that the girls didn't pursue him. They just got up, stretched, and went back on stage.

That was really odd.

What was worse was that whenever he brought any of this up, Veronica just changed the subject.

Even after a year, he was still confused about it all.

But then the phone rang.

And a voice he thought he'd never hear again began to speak.

Reg. Hey, buddy. I need your help.

Man, is that you? Where have you been? Everyone said you'd gone missing and Veronica won't tell me anything.

Something growled on the other end. Reg, I need you to do something for me.

I'm all ears, man.

Don't come to the convention tomorrow. Leave a door control and a lighter in the office. Can you do that?

Sure man, but, uh, why?

A pause. I have something I need to do. A backup plan of sorts.

You're acting real shady, but okay. If you're sure you need this.

I am.

Hey, are you all right? No offense or anything, but your voice sounds like your vocal cords were sliced in half and then burned to a crisp. And then shoved into a broken radio.

He laughed, further proving Reg's point. You don't know how accurate that is.

You're scaring me man...

Sorry. It's been a long year.

Yeah, you and me both. Okay, I'll get ya what you need. But be warned, man. The girls ain't what they used to be. Might not be the same place you remember.

That's fine. Thanks, Reg. I couldn't have done this without you.

You're welcome, man.

He hung up the phone.

Veronica popped her head in the room. Hey, who was that?

Reg leaned back against the wall. Someone with the wrong number.