Chapter Nine - Liam

Foxy took a deep breath, then continued. Some younger man had been harassin' us the whole day through. Happened from time to time, we were used to it. Mangle wasn't though. We could tell she was barely holdin' herself together. Eventually, she just broke down and started cryin' . That's when he made a grab for her neck. Tore a big chunk out of it. She just stopped. Couldn't make any noise. It looked like she was askin' us to help her.

That's when I lost it.

I dug my hook into the bastard and dragged him into my cove. I was intendin' to rip him up a bit, then throw him out. I didn't realize he had the knife until too late. He stabbed me with it, and suddenly I couldn't move.

It looked like she was going to go on, but Liam stopped her. He knew what happened next. That part isn't important. What happened after that?

Foxy took a shaky breath, then continued. After a couple minutes, Freya burst in on the curtains. Threw the man smack into Veronica's office door. Everybody started panickin'. They all left, and then Veronica burst out the door. When she saw him, she put two and two together real quick. He got arrested, and everything was good. Except for me.

Whatever he got me with, I was paralyzed for hours. When I could move again, the girls were sitting with me. Mangle was asleep in me lap. The others said she'd been worried to the moon and back.

They told me she was replacing me. That the only way this place could continue was if I went out of order. Then they found out she couldn't speak. We both got shut down, and haven't been out in the day since.

Liam was astounded. The more he heard about these girls, the more he knew they needed help. He clenched his fists. If only they would just let him give it to them!

He took a breath. Where did he stab you?

She lifted the jacket a bit, then pointed to her lower left side.

Liam muttered under his breath. Thank god it's there and not somewhere else.

What did ye say?

I said I need a few things. Pliers, wire cutters, and I think the needle's still in here. Yes, it is. Can you go get those?

Why can't ye get them?

Because I'd be dead before I got out the door.

Ye make a fair point.

She strode off.

Liam sighed, then turned to the other doorway, where he knew Freya was still hiding.

Are you ever going to trust me?

No.

I'm not going to ask what happened to you. That's your business. I just want to know why we can't just coexist.

Five years of evidence proving we can't.

She made a fair argument, but it was still irritating.

Foxy walked back it and tossed him some tools.

Thanks. He cleared his desk. Um, if you wouldn't mind, can you lie down on here?

She narrowed her eyes at him, but complied.

I'll try to go as fast as I can.

He got to work. There was a knife blade stuck deep in her side, with a kind of blue chip embedded in it. There it is. He pulled on it. Dang. That's stuck. He tried the pliers. No luck.

Liam sighed. I found the problem. He stepped back so Foxy could move. The thing is, I'm going to have to open the cut up more to fix it. Are you okay with that?

I don't care what ye do, just get this accursed thing outta me!

He stepped back in and opened his pocket knife. This might hurt. I don't know if that happens for you, but fair warning. He sliced a long line along her side. There, that should do it. Picking up the pliers, he fitted them unto the blade. Now, let's get this thing- He pulled on the pliers- OUT!

In his zeal, the blade came out, but he fell backward, hitting his head hard on the floor.

God-

Then the dark bore in.

_ _ _

When Liam woke up, he was sitting in his chair. Foxy was sitting on the desk, stitching herself up. The chip lay smashed on the ground, as if someone had taken a sledgehammer to it. He almost laughed. She actually might have done that, from what he knew about Foxy.

He rubbed his head. Ow... sorry...

Don't mention it.

Liam felt himself. Nothing broken or out of place. Or ... hmm. Stop, going there, Liam, he thought.

Foxy stood up. I'll be goin' now. Her face scrunched up, then she added, Maybe Mangle be right about you.

She left without another word.

Well, that's nice to hear. A bell rang, and Liam left the office.