Chapter One - Liam

Liam pulled his bike up to the convention. From his standpoint, it looked like an old diner on the outside. It reminded him of old memories, days gone by.

Stop. Don't get lost in the past again. That was a long time ago.

After locking his bike up to the rusted rack, he went inside.

The place wasn't exactly bustling, but there were still plenty of patrons. The attendants were mostly guys, varying in age, and children with their mothers.

Seems pretty popular. Wonder where the attractions are.

Oh, probably on the stage. Use your brain, Liam.

Probably shouldn't be talking to myself, he thought. Looks weird. He turned his attention towards the main area.

There were the attractions. Three of them by his count, but there was probably something behind those curtains.

Is it just me, or do those look oddly... humanoid?

You get used to it, man.

Liam jumped. There was someone leaning on the wall behind him. Liam almost laughed. The guy looked like someone had cloned Liam and made him more, well, stoned-looking. To be blunt anyway. His name tag said "Reginald."

Oh, hello. I'm here about the job clipping? In the newspaper?

Oh, great. We've been looking for a new night guard for weeks. It's a real hassle having to replace them every other -

He paused, making a "you're not supposed to know that" face.

Ahem. Anyways. If you're here about the job, then you should go in and talk to Veronica. She's the boss around here.

And what do you do?

I work the dayshift. Thought that would be obvious, man. Seeing as I'm wearing an employee uniform.

Right. Hey, can I call you Reg?

He smiled. Sure, man. Pretty much only my folks call me Reginald. Said it sounded "classy." I think it's just too long-winded, but that's just me.

Oh, I'm totally rambling. Go on in.

Liam nodded and walked into the management office.

_ _ _

A young woman that looked around two years older than him was sitting at a desk, seemingly engrossed in some sort of paperwork. She was entirely dressed in purple, with her hair being purple as well. In Liam's opinion, all the purple was a little overkill, but it wasn't his business. A nameplate on the desk read "Veronica Afton".

He knocked on the desk.

She almost fell out of her chair. For god's sake, Reg, how many times do I have to -

She looked up at him. Oh, sorry. You look a lot like him. She straightened her hat. Are you here for the job?

Yeah, I am. Sorry about scaring you.

She laughed. It's fine. Reg has an annoying habit of spooking me when I'm working. I'm Veronica.

Liam.

So! She clapped her hands. I guess I'll tell you a bit about your job. You will need a uniform eventually, but at this moment it's not important. You'll get a phone call when you get to the place, which should be at about 11:30. Reg always records some messages for the new people on their first week, he'll fill you in on your duties. Anyway! Veronica pushed a sheet of paper and a pen towards him. I'll need you to answer a few questions for me.

Liam looked at the sheet.

Question One: What's your favorite anime?

That was easy. He didn't watch much other anime than pokemon. At least none he was going to mention in a job interview.

Question Two: Would anyone notice if you disappeared?

This one's a little odd, he thought. I suppose not. Not like my family's alive to care.

Question Three: What gender are you attracted to?

Is this one really important?

Veronica sighed. We've had problems with that. Reg will explain.

Liam supposed female, although he'd never really, well, dated anybody.

Veronica grabbed the paper and read his answers. Great! You're hired. Can you start tonight?

Liam shrugged. Sure, why not?

Veronica stood up. Awesome. She stuck a hand at him.

As he shook it, Liam couldn't help but notice that her hands were shaking.

_ _ _

As he walked out of the management office, Liam barely stopped himself from colliding into one of the performers. It was distinctly a bunny, with the ears making it obvious. Most of its body was blue and white, with a red bow on her neck. Its eyes were intensely green.

Jesus - He started back.

Oh, sorry. I hadn't meant to scare you. Something in her voice told Liam she meant it.

Other obvious aspects notwithstanding, her voice was definitely female. Liam was decidedly not noticing her evident female physique.

You did a good job of it at any rate.

She giggled. Are you the new guard? I saw you talking to Veronica.

Yup, I am.

Cool! She thrusted her hand at him. Name's Bonnie.

Liam. He shook her hand, surprised at how warm and soft it was.

He dismissed the thought.

Bonnie started walking off. I gotta get back to work. See you tonight!

Uh, yeah, see you.

As he walked out of the convention, Liam couldn't help thinking about how cute her voice was.

He smacked himself in the head. It's a robot, you idiot. It's not human, no matter how much it may seem like it.

He hopped on his bike and rode to his apartment to rest for the night.