S E V E N

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal."
— Sappho 

________________________________________

Rowan found herself having trouble focusing in D.A.D.A. once Umbridge allowed them to meet up with their partners to go over theories. She barely got any sleep in between studying with Draco, detention, and an early morning DA meeting where she nearly mastered her Patronus. 

She was just too tired to function. 

And she sensed that Malfoy knew it too. He was quieter than usual, quieter in general since he had snuck up on her that morning when she left detention. She wasn't exactly sure what he was up to, but it made her nervous. 

"Rough night, Greer?" Pansy snickered from her seat with Blaise. Rowan looked up, already anticipating the next blows her old friend would give her.

"You're Rowan Greer, right?" a small girl pulled on her arm, her dark hair chopped at her shoulders. 

Rowan grinned, nodding. 

"Florence Greer is your big sister, isn't she?" she pressed on, grinning from ear to ear when Rowan nodded again. She linked their arms and sighed happily, "You and I are going to be best friends then."

"Did you even hear what I said or are you too focused on Draco to even notice?" Pansy snapped, edging closer from her spot across the isle and Rowan blinked. She had gotten so lost in a faint memory of when they were first years she really didn't hear what she had said. Pansy laughed loudly, "I get it, his dick was so good I'd get dazed too."

"You better shut your fucking mouth, Parkinson," Rowan hissed back, not afraid to get louder, even in the presence of Umbridge at the front of the class. "Fucking Malfoy is your job, not mine."

To her side, Malfoy covered his mouth with his hand as if not to laugh and for some strange reason, that made Rowan even more angry and it did the same for Pansy.

"You're just his sloppy seconds," Pansy mocked, her cheeks getting pink. "Oh! I'm sorry, I meant his sloppy thirds."

"Yeah, yeah," Rowan rolled her eyes. "I don't care that you and Florence have shared the same dick, but it must not be the only thing you've share? I mean, come on, Zabini's got that covered now too."

Pansy choked on her smug laugh, narrowing her eyes. "You're lucky we're still in class or I would've-"

"Shut it, Pansy," Malfoy suddenly piped up and the other girl shut her mouth, stubbornly turning away from the pair. 

Rowan scowled, flipping absentmindedly through her workbook. "I can handle myself, Malfoy."

"Not with Umbridge looking," he muttered lazily, writing something random on a piece of parchment as he looked over the theories they were never going to use. "I said I was going to help, and I meant it."

"Why?" she blurted out, narrowing her eyes at him. He still wasn't paying her any attention, stilling flipping through the book like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Does it even really matter?" he sighed. 

She nodded. 

"I feel badly for how I treated you at the Astronomy Tower," he responded, still not meeting her eyes. "You were clearly hurting and I just..." he sighed, shaking his head. "...I pushed you a little too far, that's all."