E I G H T E E N

"Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?"
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Good and Evil

________________________________________

Florence grinned, feline and snakelike. 

"It was the only way to prove ourselves," she explained, regarding her nails like she hadn't just confessed her sins. 

Draco's heart hammered deeply in his chest and he forced himself to take another large gulp of firewhiskey to calm his nerves. She killed her own dad. She killed Bowen Greer in order to save herself a spot for the Dark Lord. She's twisted, horrible-

"Does Rowan know?" Florence asked, shaking him from his thoughts.

"No," he said, his voice surprisingly calm. Lie, lie, lie.

"Does she know anything?"

He shrugged. "She had her suspicions, but I don't know what she might suspect now."

She sat up in her seat on the couch. "Why did you two end things? Hmm?"

He smiled, hoping she didn't catch onto to his deceptions. "To break her heart, obviously. It was all part of our grand plan, Flo."

"But she was already questioning it," she sighed. "It wasn't as grand as I had hoped."

"What did you expect?" he rolled his eyes, swirling the liquid in his bottle. "She's a lot smarter than you think, she didn't trust me from the start."

"Then make her trust you!"

"Why are you so eager to ruin her? Haven't you done enough already? You killed her fucking father-" he lowered his voice, shaking his head. "-you killed Bowen, there's hardly anything left for her now."

"No," she snapped, sitting up in her seat. "I killed my father, not hers. She's a filthy blood traitor, she's not even my sister-"

"And you actually believe that?"

She froze.

"Don't you think it's just a little too convenient?" Draco mused. "Marlena isn't that clever."

Florence seemed to not take his words lightly, her hands shaking. 

"Did you ever see Rowan as a sister? Or was she always a rival?"

She still didn't respond.

"I feel as if your mother just came up with this grand plot to keep you from hurting her," Draco shrugged, swirling that burning liquid again in hopes she thought he was just wondering his thoughts and not declaring anything. "You both look like your parents, it'd be silly to think you weren't related."

Her hands balled into fists.

"But what do I know?"

Her hands eased and she let out a huff of air. "You know nothing, Draco Malfoy."

"Don't tell me that really worked you up that badly," he laughed, shaking his head. "Pathetic, Flo, I thought nothing could bother you."

It must be the mark, effecting her so much. The influence it had on the people who bore it was frightening. He could only wonder what it would do to him.

"Why do you hate your sister so much? You seemed to care for her, before all of this. So, what changed?"

He wanted to get every last ounce of information out of her, so maybe, as pathetic as it was, he could go running back to her.