F I F T Y - T W O

"they asked, 'do you love her to death?'

I said, 'speak of her over my grave and watch how she brings me back to life.'"

— mahmoud darwish

________________________________________

Draco went on to fight in the battle. He'd told the golden trio all about Rowan's findings, even handing over the copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard she'd written frantic notes inside for their friends to follow and yes, he said their friends. 

Because that's what they were. No group of people could go through what they have just to become strangers, enemies, or something worse. 

But he does something reckless. He doesn't return home. 

The aftermath of the beach reels through him like fiery waves and although he knows his mother can soothe him, look after him and keep his torment down, Potter does it better. He writes to his mother, secret little owls, and hopes she understands what he must do.

He must fight.

So, he does.

And he did so brilliantly.

But not before putting out the news of Rowan's death. They'd made sure to broadcast it to The Daily Prophet, using awful photographs of her body and Bellatrix's dagger. It silenced many of the Death Eaters still riled up from her dramatic exit from the Manor as well as settle Bellatrix's terrible rage. His father had been the one to send in the source, making it authentic to its core. He would never get over the fact his father had decided to help them, had someone put aside his bigotry and overall awfulness to help. He had a feeling it was because of Rowan (but he learned later from his mother that it was Lucius's need of connecting back with his son). 

With Draco's help, he was able to bypass the security at Gringotts rather splendidly. Why must anyone question him as to why he needs to enter his aunt's vault? He's a Death Eater, he's trusted, and he's her nephew. Even when Hermione disguises herself as his wretched aunt and with him by her side, it goes over better than expected and besides, he knows exactly how to locate the horcrux.

Rowan said it would be a goblet, Helga Hufflepuff's Cup to be exact. They found it amongst the treasure and were able to get around Bellatrix's awful alarm system to get what they needed. He also took great joy in flying away on a dragon because not many could say they'd experienced such a thing. Potter made a point to tell Draco just how amusing it was to see a dragon flying its own kind (he'd laughed internally only because he wouldn't give Potter the satisfaction of seeing him smile).

Rowan, always the brilliant witch and more so, had also told him of the next horcrux they must find. The Diadem of Ravenclaw, seemingly lost, but his beautiful Rowan knew where to find it. She was good like that. He ended up discovering it within the Room of Requirement while it's in its form of Room of Hidden Things. It turned out, Potter had found it sometimes during sixth year and knew exactly where it was.

That made things easier, if not for Goyle and Crabbe running after them thinking Potter and his goons had somehow brainwashed Draco into their bidding. Trying to explain it would be like explaining it to a punch of morons watching paint dry. There was a reason they hadn't been involved with Draco's planning of evading the Death Eaters and the plot to kill Dumbledore.

Potter, Granger, Wesley were pleasantly surprised to find Theo, Pansy, and Blaise working on their side. It was only a little time after the beach that Draco called for them. They worked better in a group like this and they were adapted surprisingly well to the group. Even Potter enjoyed Theo's company.