22. Gifted Da'wa

Pulling the hood over her head, Zahra stepped toward the busy streets of the town's market place with Layla and Aaron behind. They'd kept distance for long enough to ensure nobody would become suspicious of the three individuals approaching from Luxor's direction. Now, all the food Layla's grandmother packed them was gone and there was nothing they could do except pay the town a visit.

"Let's steal us some meat!" Layla jumped excitedly, already looking around for her target product. Aaron quickly frowned at her, reaching out to slap her arm as a way to scold the young girl, but she quickly pulled away and flashed him a bright smile. "What? Do you have any money to buy us meat with?"

He hesitated, looking down at his oversized pants and empty pockets. They'd been able to find him decent clothing in a donation center at their last-visited town, but they were all much too large to fit the small sized boy. "We can't steal, though. It's not right."

"Sometimes, you have to be brave and do the wrong things in life," Layla confidently pounded a closed fist against her chest. "It's the only way to survive," she nodded with confident determination.

"Anybody who hears you now would never guess that you cried about leaving your grandmother at eighteen," Aaron mumbled under his breath, rolling his eyes to the side. He had lowered himself as far down as he could to the ground without bothering his injured foot with the uneven dunes of sound beneath.

Suddenly, he flew to the distant left to avoid a firm punch coming from the girl beside him. "I didn't cry!" She exclaimed unhappily.

"Yes, you did," Aaron snapped back.

"It's because I was worried about her! It's not my fault you have nobody you care about who could be killed by the Pharaoh for being related to you," she grumbled, lowering herself to the ground and grabbing a handful of sand to throw at him.

Aaron raised his hand to increase the gravitational pull of the sand sediments, dropping them to the ground before they could get within three feet of him. "I do have somebody I care about," he stuck his tongue out at her. "He's just not in the Pharaoh's reach right now."

As they drew closer to the village's entrance, Zahra turned around to notice the inch of space still between the base of his feet and the ground below. "I think it would be better if you guys stayed here so we don't draw any attention," she pressed her lips together sympathetically. "I'll get what we need and look for a doctor. If I find one, I'll come get you so we can get that nail out. Okay?"

"Sucks to suck," Layla shrugged smugly toward the boy, continuing to walk ahead until Zahra stopped her.

"You too, I don't want to leave him alone by himself like that," she motioned over to the boy's leg and weak state. If anybody were to find him, there was no doubt the boy would probably be unable to face them on his own in his condition. "I'll be back as soon as I can!"

They didn't say much more as the girl nodded, tightening her cape around her body and securing the large hood over her head to cover the top half of her face. By now, the natural blondeness of her hair was beginning to peek through the roots, washing away the balck dye she'd been required to wear every day in the palace. But there was no more palace or uniform to dress for.

Walking through the streets, Zahra let her eyes scan the carts of fruit and pottery all around her. They had no use for pottery so the only product the girl focused her attention on was the bread, fruit, and meat markets on her left side as she walked along.

She shoved her hand into the pockets of the clothes she hadn't changed in more than a week in search for any currency to use in the purchases, but there was nothing other than a few coins and fabric-derived lint sitting in the base of her pockets. Layla was right; it seemed like stealing would be their only option if they wanted to fill their stomachs before the hunger started to use up their bodies' nutrients.