60. Through Her Eyes

Asarte stepped into the low market, her eyes already beginning to slide over the variety of boxes that each held unique flavors and types of chips. Some were puffs, others were thin potato slices. She tried to count all the divergent tastes that could be chosen: tomato, salt, cheese, chilli pepper and lemon, barbecue, kabob...? And --ew --was that chicken?

She grimaced at the unusual combination of flavors. Everything seemed delicious, except for the kabob and chicken flavoring that made her step to the side in disgust, nearly tripping over Zane's feet as he followed her with his hands in pockets.

"I'd told you I'd let you get something before I took you back," he mumbled, looking around the small shop in search of something she might like. But how was he supposed to know what Asarte liked if she'd never even been to such a market.

The girl barely heard him, too entangled in the decision to make between the red tomato or green spicy chilli and lemon bags. Which one was the one that her sisters always bought for her from the store?

"Well, look who it is," a slightly older girl appeared from behind the counter, narrowing her eyes in amusement at Zane. She pushed her short brown curls over her shoulder and leaned her hand on the rectangular fridge set between them that held milk and ice cream. Asarte didn't notice her appearance, still too focused on the choice she needed to make to even hear the owner's daughter appear.

Zane pressed his lips together into half of a smile, walking over until he leaned on the opposite side of the refrigerator. "How is business, Mila?" He asked casually, keeping his hands inside the pockets of his beige khakis while glancing back toward Asarte.

"Better than it was when I spent my days running around with you," Mila rolled her eyes sarcastically. She was one of the few girls who didn't hate the boy just as she was probably the only one who no longer attempted to flirt him into being attracted to her again. They were nothing now, and it didn't surprise the girl one year older than the boy.

"I'm glad to hear that," he met her gaze with a friendly nod, his eyes slipping over the cookie and pastry collection placed on high shelves along the wall behind the girl. "I assume that means I don't get a discount anymore?" He asked, although the question was laced with humor.

Mila raised her freshly shaped thin eyebrows at his question. "Come on, I'm not that salty. I'll give you the double discount."

He tilted his head. "The double discount?"

"Everything you buy will be charged as double the price," she smirked, sliding the cookie packet on the refrigerator back into its place as Zane scoffed, turning to the side to chuckle at her. "I see you got a new candle," she motioned over the Asarte --now, sitting on the ground and comparing both bags in her hands with excessive focus.

"Candle?" Zane asked.

She nodded, still watching the innocent girl try to maintain her balance on the balls of her feet as she placed the red and green chips together. "It's what everyone calls the girls that go around with you. You light them up, let them burn for a little bit, and just before people begin to think you're getting serious, you blow them out and throw them away. You've built quite a reputation for yourself, Zane," she snorted in amusement. "But this girl looks different than the usual ones you go for. Don't tell me you've gotten soft?"

The boy shrugged, his expression still on the verge of an amused laugh at the news she'd just broken to him. Candles... he had no clue. "I'm trying new scents," he answered simply.

"She's cute, though," Mila spoke on the short observation she'd managed to make of the girl in the few moments it had been since she'd first seen her. "So I don't think she's from around here. Don't tell me you kidnapped the poor girl?"