63. Inescapable Fate

Akil rested his back against the heavy tent's material, his eyes lazily set on the sleeping fire sign across from him. The black blindfold still rested on her eyes as her chest rose and fell calmly with every breath. Her wrists were chained together in her lap, but the girl didn't mind them in her unconscious state, continuing through the peace of her rest that momentarily allowed her to escape the cruelty of the real world.

The world that ripped her from her grandmother and the other Zodiacs, and now planned on tearing Akil away from her. Even if it was just a moment, she needed to forget all the worry that settled on her shoulders and allow her body its much needed rest.

He continued to watch her, trying to memorize every curve and structure of the girl's features so he would never forget it. Maybe he could close his eyes when it was time for his death... maybe he could find sanctuary in the tranquility of this moment now, allowing himself to picture the girl once again as his soul gradually slipped from his body.

It wouldn't be a terrible way to go.

She looked so peaceful and content in the rest now that her thoughts were no longer occupied with worries about their future. More than herself, Layla was terrified at the idea of losing Akil, but that thought wasn't even on the air sign's mind. He wasn't as anxious about what came for him as much as he was preoccupied with hers.

Layla looked so serene as she slept in front of him, so untouched by the taint of reality's cruelty. She was so beautiful. How was it possible for another soul just like his to have such an affect on him? How was it possible to love someone more than he loved himself?

"Don't worry...," he whispered to the girl that would never hear the honesty in his words. "I won't let them hurt you anymore."

He would keep her safe.

Akil turned down to the chains around his own wrists, trying again to test its strength with a pull of his arms, but they didn't release. They were locked to match his physical strength and ensured with another force, an invisible power, to strip him of his Zodiac's strength. As long as the cuffs remained on him, Akil was no Zodiac but a mere commoner.

If only he could find a way to release himself, or break that seal that kept him from using his abilities, he could free himself and free Layla. They could slip out of the tent's backside and race away, unseen by the use of their reimbursed powers.

Someone must have the keys --or an understanding of what had been done to the metal security to weaken him so much. Escaping seemed to be at a frustrating proximity, yet remained so far away.

The tent's door pushed open to reveal a single Dauha who stepped in, meeting Akil's gaze before his gaze settled on the sleeping girl across the space. He suppressed the urge to snort, finding irony in the duality between the girl's sociopathic strength and her current peacefulness. Anybody would fail to recognize her as she calmly slept now.

Akil's eyebrows furrowed at the Dauha's singularity; it was unusual that he stepped in without the two soldiers that often accompanied any visitors the Zodiacs got. He grabbed onto the metal pole behind him, struggling to pull himself up as the chains tightened around his wrists.

"What are you doing?" Akil asked, finally managing to lift himself onto his feet and match the Knight's height as the man crossed the space, moving toward Layla with a new purpose. "She's sleeping, leave her alone," he attempted to half the Dauha's movements with only his words, unable to do much more.

But the other man didn't mind the words of the air sign that no longer posed a threat with his powers and physical strength restricted. He bent down, delving his hand into the sleeping girl's hair, and using it to yank her up aggressively.