86. Our Ever After

*17 Months Later*

Lotus happily skipped through the corridor, her steps bouncing with urgency as each click of the seconds seemed to tick louder with each passing moment. Her olive colored gown trailing behind her while her eyes roamed the familiar palace walls, her fingers nervously fiddling in front of the brown corset wrapped around her waist. It connected at the center with comfortably secured knots --the type of clothing she'd grown accustomed to.

Her sleeves were wide, offering a refreshing flow of the cool winter air, colored the same olive shade as the top of her dress and center of the long, multicolored skirt that brushed against her ankles. She glanced down, patting a speck of water off of the forest color surrounding the olive shade before melting away into a brown that matched that of her corset and reached all the way around her back.

A brown scarf woven specifically for her rested over the girl's head, thrown over each of her shoulders as she continued excitedly through the corridor. Her hazel eyes glancing toward the bright sun outside.

"Where are you off to?" Layla suddenly spoke, stepping out of her own room to strut alongside the girl.

She wore a royal blue dress that fell simply past onto the ground, sliding with each step she took forward. It's squared collar dipped to just above the girl's chest, a copper border meeting with the paleness of her skin in beautiful harmony. The same gold wrapped around her elbows as a strap and tightened around her waist to outline the girl's frame. The velvet material hung in a width similar to Lotus's around her forearms, falling to Layla's side as wide sleeves.

A silver choker wrapped around her neck. It was an unusual accessory but fit the Leo so well... it was nearly unsettling.

"You know where I'm going," she grinned. Lotus glanced over at her, letting her eyes slide over the girl's formal outfit. "I could ask you the same thing, who are you trying to impress?"

Layla laughed, throwing her head back in a way that threw her red curls over her shoulder before her expression fell. "Who else," she rolled her eyes in irritation and Lotus chuckled. "Akil's dad invited me over for dinner again! At this point, it's like all of us are hinting at a proposal but he's completely oblivious!" She sighed.

"Oh, I'm sure he's probably planning it," she met the fire sign's blank eyes. Both of them knew that probably wasn't it; the Aquarius was far too focused on his military training now that Chione was queen and Egypt was no longer as poisoned as it had been. "Maybe?"

With a wave of her hand, Layla dismissed the idea that still slightly bothered. "I'm okay waiting until he finishes training, that way we'll have all the time to ourselves," she smirked, gently nudging the Libra who suppressed a grin while rolling her eyes. "Where's Suma?"

"At the bakery."

"Asarte?"

"Probably snuggled somewhere in the palace with the new book I gave her," Lotus looked forward when they both began their descent down the stairs.

Layla raised her eyebrows, not surprised. "How many books has she read in the past year? I'm worried for that girl's eyesight at this point," she grumbled, letting her fingers slide down the soft railing of the stairs that brought them closer to the first floor.

"I don't think we'll have to worry that much longer." They both caught sight of the soldier standing in the distance, wearing the loose black shirt tucked into pants that already made them aware of his long training day. The black veins still crept up his neck; at this point, everyone was used to his new appearance. He caught sight of their approach, beginning to walk toward the two as Lotus leaned toward Layla to whisper. "Wait until she finds out the Nigerian Princes are coming today," she winked.