Cute little thing

Dr. Green's POV

Pookie is a cute little thing.

Now, this sentence has two meanings. The first being its literal one, that a Pookie is a cute little thing.

The second, is that the green eyed, blonde haired girl wearing a purple sweater-she looks lovely in my favourite color-, and a white skirt, standing in front of me is the cutest little thing I've ever seen.

The way she'd said my name. Oh, the way she'd said it. The breathy note of her voice had appealed to my ears like a baby's laugh.

I loved babies. Cute little things.

Like Pookie.

When I asked her about her feelings on the subject of me calling her the cutest little thing in the world, "what?" is the only reaction I got.

This had not been my intention.

The pretty Pookie standing in front of me looked genuinely weirded out. Whether it was because of my question or her new nickname, courtesy of yours truly, I would never know, because as soon as that word left her pretty lips, the door to Dr. Roberts' office opened.

He was that typical elderly doctor that every little kid loved to go to. His pale blue eyes were always bright and his coat pockets always filled to the brim with candies. Of course every kid liked him.

The man was a candy briber.

He was dusting his coat, his back still to the both of us. He must've seen Sang in his peripheral sight, though, as she was closer to him.

"You're right on time, dear. How did the visit with Lily go?"

My brain is quick to make the connection with Lily from the Anderson team. It could be some other Lily, but the mention of the name here in the hospital and the inflection of his tone tells me all I need to know.

"It was great." Sang's tone of voice is light, respectful but there's also something else I detect in there. "Did your surgery go well?"

"Yes, it did." He answers her as he turns around, smiling at her. He takes a look at me and then questions, suspiciously, his eyes going to Pookie for a moment. "Dr. Green, what are you doing in my office?"

"I....." I look towards my Pookie, and the soft smile on her face makes me forget what I was about to say.

"Yes?" Dr. Roberts presses, a knowing look on his face. The blonde little lady beside him looks from him to me and it almost looks like she wants to laugh.

Now, that would be great, because I have just the perfect cure for it. But alas! Some people just can't let things happen the way they are supposed to, and it's doubtful Dr. Roberts' watchful eyes would let me go anywhere near my one and only.

"Ah, I just wanted to ask about....." Something in my face must've given it away that I wanted to talk Academy, because he nods at me to go on.

Even though my focus never really went away from Sang, I look at her again, now having the realisation that she must be Academy as well.

I know Owen says that I need to pay more attention to my surroundings and start acting like the adult I am, but I didn't realise until now just how important it is. If I hadn't been as absent-minded as I am, I probably would have noticed this dazzling beauty before.

Even though he doesn't know it, a point to O-man.

"I wanted to ask about the Ashley Waters mission." I notice Sang perk up a little at the word 'mission'. She must be new then. I knew it. I couldn't have possibly missed her. I couldn't have.

Point to O-man retrieved. Ha.

He nods, his face serious. "The minor details. Yes. I'll get back to your team by tomorrow." He looks at Sang and then turns back to me, a single eyebrow raised. "Now why don't you go back to your duties so I can conduct Miss Sang's check-up?"

I mirror his expression, raised eyebrow and all, and question, "Miss Sang tells me that you've told her about me. Exactly what is it that you've said to her about me?"

"Nothing that isn't the truth." He states while shrugging his shoulders.

"He's exaggerating," Sang says in an attempt to.....placate me? Do I look that bothered? She continues, her voice soothing, "I've been coming to him for years and he hasn't told me much at all. At least, nothing that tarnishes your reputation, whatever it may be."

Okay, I am bothered. How have I not seen her ALL THIS TIME?!

I can just hear Owen's stuffy voice in my head, mocking me. "If only you would have paid attention, Dr. Green, you wouldn't have missed out on Pookie time."

Of course, that's not what he would say. But it's my head. Deal with it.

Freaking point to O-man again.

"There," Dr. Roberts is quick to point out, " I haven't told her anything that might ruin your 'reputation'." Upon noticing the look on my face, he rushes to add, "Now may we be left alone for her check-up?"

I'm sure my forced smile doesn't make up for my narrowed eyes as I reply, "Of course, Dr. Roberts," I turn to Sang and give her a real, mega watt smile, "It was nice meeting you, Pookie."

They both look at me wide-eyed, each of them for a different reason. I whistle a random tune as I get out of his office and walk to my own. I step inside and go to the other side of the spacious room. Taking a seat on the white office chair behind my desk, I think.

How could I have missed those stunning green eyes, a shade lighter than my own?

How could I have missed that sweet smile?

How could I have missed the pretty blonde hair?

How could I have missed the adorable face that belongs to the future Mrs. Green?

•••••