What are the odds?

Kota had had a total of two French toasts and I ate an additional one so he wouldn't feel the odd one out to be the only one eating as my dad explained to the both of us what was going on.

Kota and Nathan, our new neighbours, were part of the same Academy team. Their team was taking on a mission in the beat up school Ashley Waters as they were having embezzlement issues.

Dad told us that Dr. Phil wanted me to work with their team and Dad agreed with the good doctor. Their team had a good number of members so someone would always be there to look after me and they were all experienced and respected as well.

I took a look at Kota. He was the same age as me. Just how respected could he be? Just how experienced could he be?

My thoughts are interrupted by the ringtone of my phone. Usually, only I would be able to hear it from downstairs but since it's really quiet right now, Dad and Kota hear it as well.

I get up and sprint upstairs to my room but I'm not as fast as I should've been because my phone stops ringing. I pick it up from the dresser and groan at the sight of the "0 %" right beside the little battery sign.

How stupid can I be to plug it in the night before and not turn on the switch?

And just like that, its screen goes black and I can see my frustrated, pouting face reflecting back on it. I didn't even see who called me, although I have a hunch I know who it is.

I quickly plug it in and turn the switch on when I hear the sound of cars pulling up.

Patting my bun to check if all the hair were still in place, I bound down the stairs, excited to meet the people I'll be working with. I freeze on the last stair, looking at the living room with wide eyes. Aside from Dad and Kota, the room is filled with the presence of 8 new members.

"What the fuck?"

Everyone in the room turns toward me at my outburst and I'm pleased to see varying looks of shock on all of their faces.

There's no need for introductions here. I know Dr. Phil must have sent Dad some files so he'd know the people I'd be working with. But me?

In the past 2 days, I've met every single one of these boys. Every. Single. One.

There's the forest boy. Nathan. The attacking dog boy. Kota. There's the mall trio; Victor, Gabriel and Luke. The two diner boys. Silas and North. The doctor who called me a Pookie. Sean. The boy-man from Lily's. Owen.

Our meetings could've been done on purpose, so I'd know them before we work on a mission together, but I know that they weren't. After all, it was only yesterday that I agreed to work for the Academy. My proposition had been real out of the blue; for everyone.

Yet. What the fuck are the odds that I'd met all of the same team's members in the span of 2 days, that too when I was just about to work with them?

"Your mom would have a lot to say about your little outburst, you know." Dad tells me, amused.

"Then it's a good thing she isn't here right now. You won't tell her. Will you?"

He squints his eyes. I squint mine. "Hummingbird cake." He declares.

"Deal."

Dad shakes hands with me and we both nod in satisfaction. There hasn't been a time that my cooking hasn't saved me. There also hasn't been a time that Dad hasn't tried to use my rand swearing outbursts to his advantage. But it works for the both of us. I get to cook and everyone gets to eat.

See? Perfect.

All of a sudden all of the boys in the room are talking to and over each other. It's hard to make out what they are saying because everything just sounds like mindless chatter. However, something in all of their chatter seems to have pissed Dad off.