Chapter 38: The Present

Tomike was awakened to the smell of fresh coffee and scrambled eggs. She didn't want to get out of bed. She had a good night sleep for the first time in a long while. She didn't have any nightmares, rather she dreamt of how her Christmas went.

On Christmas morning, Todd had come by with his girlfriend, Linda. Tomike, Dayo and the two of them had breakfast at Todd's restaurant. It was breathtaking because Todd made everything himself. The restaurant was empty and it was just the four of them. Despite Linda's presence, it was pleasant.

Christmas evening was always the busiest time of the year for the restaurant. So they could only have breakfast together on that day, because Todd was going to be working later in the evening.

Dinner was sumptuous. Annalise out did herself with all the preparations. She had a few friends over apart from Tomike and Dayo. Some of those friends were co-workers, and they were quite shocked to discover that Tomike had a son that grown. It was a little uncomfortable, but Tomike decided not to let it bother her.

After dinner, she went ice skating with Dayo, the first for the both of them. They fell a couple of times. Actually a lot of times, but it was fun. They talked, laughed and hung out for a while before calling it a day. That too was also a first. But it gladdened Tomike's heart to see Dayo smile so much.

Christmas with her friends and Dayo was perfect and she didn't mind dreaming of it for the rest of her life. But she attributed this good dream to the person she had spent the night with.

"Sleeping beauty, don't you think it's time you wake up? I've got breakfast here for you" King's voice vibrated through the room.

She knew she wasn't supposed to, she knew it was wrong. She thought she was over him, and truthfully maybe she was. But at that moment she needed a rebound after the disgrace she had faced confessing her feelings to Todd.

It was New Year evening. The atmosphere was bubbly and liquor was flowing. She was drunk. Todd had just told her it was finally over between he and Linda. He caught her red-handed, cheating on him. Tomike always knew the girl was a two timing slut. So she decided to shoot her shot. But instead she got shot.

She felt so embarrassed when Todd told her,  "Wow! I didn't see that coming. Tomi you are my friend, I love you. But this, I can't... I don't think it'll work between us..."

His words immediately sobered her up, even before he finished speaking. She wanted the floor to open and swallow her. For some weird reason she had expected him to tell her he had feelings for her too, that he had always had eyes on her but never knew how to tell her. But he didn't.  Instead, he tried to subtly reject her, in his ever calm and sweet manner.

She ran away. She wouldn't sit back and be embarrassed, not even by Todd. When she got home, she looked for King's number and dialed it. He was in Boston the next morning. They met up in his hotel room, and the rest became ancient history.

"Get up lazy bones" King said.

"I'm not a lazy bone you dullard"

He gently pecked her on her lips and she opened her eyes. He was getting dressed. His black shirt was half open and his belt was undone.

She pulled him into a kiss and then whispered in his ear "Don't go"

She sat up on the bed and he sat beside her, drawing the breakfast table closer to them.

"I have to. I have some important people I need to see today. Prospective business partners"

"And here I was thinking you came to Boston for me"

She poured herself a cup of coffee and took a sip.

"You know I did. I'm just like, why not make some money while I'm at it" he buttoned his shirt.

"Typical Igbo man you are"

They both laughed.

"You'll be fine on your own right?"

"Sure, I'm a big girl"

"So I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Naaa, I'm busy. Thursday probably?''

"I can't stay till then. I have to go see my wi... "

"It's fine. I understand" An awkward silence followed. Tomike couldn't believe she had successfully become a side chick. It was absurd.

His wife would always be the elephant in the room that was unaddressed. Like Voldemort from Harry Potter, mentioning her was forbidden. She was the word that was never completely said. It was better that way, for both their conscience.

Her phone started vibrating. She picked it up and realised it was Todd. It'd been two weeks since her confession and she was still avoiding him.

"Your boyfriend huh?" King joked.

I wish. I honestly wish.

"He isn't my boyfriend"

"I know. I'm off. I guess I'll see you when I see you"

"We shall see when we shall see your highness"

King chuckled. They kissed and he was off. He turned back to wink at her and Tomike smiled back.

She dived backwards on the bed where she sat, plunging herself into the soft mattress. She couldn't fathom what Todd would think if he found out what she was doing. She had told him about King, he knew he was married.

Todd would most definitely be disappointed in her. Or would he? He was always such a liberal person, he didn't have any issues accepting Dayo. But this was different and she knew it.

She sighed.

"Tomike what in God's name have you gotten yourself into? In your desperation to get laid look at the mess you've made. Chaii, you don f**k up"

                     **********

This Tomike and King comeback had to happen and you know it😋. Please tell me what you think ooo
I need to know. Don't forget to vote and comment and share and add to your reading list and so on and so forth.
Have a thrilling week.
Xoxo💕💕
Val💓💓