The Tell

Derek and Scott overlook the scene down below. Two teens were at the video store and one guy was killed in it.

"Starting to get it?" Derek asks the young Beta.

"I get that he's killing people. I don't get why." Scott answers. "I mean, this isn't standard practice. We don't, go out in the middle of the night murdering everyone do we?"

"No. We're predators. We don't have to be killers."

"Why is he a killer?"

"That's what we're gonna find out."

Derek than walks away, Scott following behind.

...

Derek drives himself and Scott to the Hale House and enter. Derek begins to walk up the stairs, ahead of Scott, when Scott says,

"You know, I have a life too."

"No you don't." Derek responds.

"Yes I do!" Scott yells. "I don't care what you say about him making me his pet-"

"-part of his pack."

"Whatever. I have homework to do. I have to go to a parent teacher conference tomorrow because I'm failing chemistry."

"You wanna do homework? Or do you wanna not die?" Derek purposes. "You have less than a week until the next full moon. If you don't kill with him. He kills you.

"Okay seriously, who made up these rules?"

"It's a right go passage into the pack."

"You know what else is a right of passage? Graduating high school. And you don't have to kill anyone to do it... Why can't you just find him yourself? Why can't you just sniff him out when he's human?"

"Because his scent can be entirely different. It has to be you! You have a connection with him, a link. That you can't understand. If I can teach you to control your abilities, you can find him."

"So if I help, you can stop him?" Scott questions.

"Not alone. We're stronger in numbers. The pack makes the individual more powerful."

"How am I supposed to help if I have no idea what I'm doing?"

"Because I'm gonna teach you!" Derek exclaims, walking closer to Scott and saying, "Remember the first night when you got shot on the arm? Right after you were hit?"

"Ya, I changed back."

"Mhm. What's the common denominator?"

Scott shrug, really confused. Derek grabs Scotts hand and bends it back- breaking it.

"What the hell are you doing!?" Scott yells, falling to his knees and grabbing his hand

"It'll heal."

"Still hurts!"

"And that's what keeps you human: pain."

Scott groans and moves his hand, allowing it to heal. It does and Derek gestures to it.

"Maybe you will survive."

...

Cassidy wakes alone in her bed and to the smell of pancakes. She smiles and gets out of bed.

She walks downstairs and turns into the kitchen to see Derek shitless, only in pajama pants with his back to her. Jason is sitting in his seat at the table, talking to him about something. She stands in the door way, a smile on her face.

"And than the plane was about to crash but Thor stopped it." Jason explains.

"How?" Derek asks, looking over his shoulder to Jason.