(40) Ages: 22 & 19

Ages: 22 & 19

“Jen-jam!” Rex exclaimed into the cellular phone in his left hand as he sat in James’ old apartment which, in the last year, had become the apartment they shared together as roommates.

“Hey, T-Rex! What’s going on?” Jenny questioned as she sat in the backseat of her cab on her way home from the airport. The flight from Connecticut was just a little over two hours, but it felt like an eternity. She hadn’t spoken to James since she left for college last fall. It wasn’t because words had been said or bridges had been burned necessarily, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. James was given the chance to run his own restaurant which was a once in a lifetime opportunity that he couldn’t turn down and Jenny had the chance to attend college under the financial wing of her father and away from the stresses of a broken home; it was an opportunity she couldn’t see turning down. They always knew there would come a time when life would tear them apart, at least for a little while, and when that time came they promised to stand aside and allow the other to live their life. It seemed like a good idea, but it was the hardest thing Jenny had ever had to do. She knew James had moved on, she was just terrified to know how far and calling Rex seemed to be the safest way to find out.

“Ah, nothing much.” Rex responded coolly. “Just hanging out at the apartment.”

Jenny’s eyes widened as she leaned forward in her seat fearfully. “Is Jameson there?! Don’t let him know you’re talking to me!”

Rex chuckled at her anxiety. “Relax, he’s still at work.”

She sighed in relief. “Thank God.” Sliding back into her seat, Jenny’s heartbeat began slowing. “How’s that going, by the way? Is the restaurant doing well?”

“Not that I understand much of anything James tries to explain when it comes to the financial side of the business but he stays pretty busy and my Aunt Marie goes there every Saturday so I’m thinking it’s doing pretty good. Aunt Marie doesn’t like anything. She sure likes James’ fried banana peppers though.” Rex finished his rambling and Jenny smiled through the phone at the familiarity.

“Good. I’m glad.”

“So, what’s one of my oldest friends up to? How’s Connecticut? Are you ever coming home?”

“Actually, I’m on my way home right now.”

“Really? That’s great. So, I guess we’ll see you soon then?” Just as the last word left Rex’s mouth, Keira came out of the kitchen with a bag of chips and some dip.

“Who’s that?” She asked with a mouth full of chips.

“Jen-jam,” Rex whispered back, covering the mouthpiece briefly. Keira immediately began making a ‘cutthroat’ motion with her hand and Rex stared on in confusion as Jenny continued speaking on the other end of the phone. “What?”

“What?” Jenny responded to Rex’s mumbles, unaware they were directed to someone else. “Is that Keira?” She asked excitedly.

“N-“ Rex began to deny her accusation but before he could get a word out Keira ripped the phone from his hand.

“Jen!” She exclaimed, hiding the concern she had been exhibiting before. “What’s going on? Still having a blast in Connecticut, right? I bet you’ve just forgotten all about us. Tell me all about the guys blowing up your phone.”

Jenny laughed at Keira’s nervous blathering. “Actually, I am on my way home right now. In fact, I’m about five minutes away from Kicken Chicken.

The news caused Keira to jolt forward on the couch with a horrified expression. “Kicken Chicken? Why would you be going to Kicken Chicken?” She laughed nervously.