(42) Ages: 22 & 19

Ages: 22 & 19

“So, how bad was it?” Keira asked as she sat down beside Jenny on her living room couch. They had arrived back at Keira’s apartment less than an hour ago and the events from earlier were still fresh on Jenny’s mind. All she could see was James’ cold exterior pushing her farther away as if she was some stranger who no longer fit into his world anymore. “Did he leave an emotional scar so big that I need to run to his apartment and beat the shit out of him?”

Snickering, Jenny curled her legs beneath her bottom and grabbed a handful of popcorn Keira had made after she insisted they both change into PJ’s for a girl’s night in. “It wasn’t so bad.”

Keira raised an eyebrow in suspicion. “Jen, I wasn’t even witness to the conversation and all I needed was a knife to cut the tension when I walked inside.”

“I told you, Keira, I wasn’t expecting anything.” She said calmly with a palpable smile across her face. “I just needed to know where we stand so I know how to proceed.”

Proceed?” Keira repeated uneasily. “You make it seem like you’re planning some kind of attack.” She chuckled at the silly idea while Jenny just shrugged.

“That’s one way to think of it.”

“What is going on in that brain of yours?”

Jenny lowered the popcorn in her hand and leaned forward slightly on the couch with her smile still in place. “Jameson and I were always meant to be together. I knew that when I was thirteen and it’s one of the few things I still believe in. A year ago it was me in Jameson’s place after my parents got divorced and he was there for me. Now, it’s time for me to be there for him.” Lounging back in her previous position, Jenny tossed a handful of popcorn into her mouth while Keira stared on in uncertainty.

“Yeah, but Jen, James’ parents aren’t getting divorced. What if this isn’t something that he needs you to be there for?” She spoke rationally as her worry increased at the certainty she saw in Jenny’s assumption. “What if he’s just moved on?”

“What is it with you?” She exclaimed. “Ever since I met you, you’ve been pushing us to be together. You believed in us more than I did at times, why are you against us now?”

“I’m not against anything,” Keira assured quickly, changing her resistant attitude. “I just don’t want you to get hurt, that’s all.” She admitted honestly.

“I can’t get hurt, Keira, because I understand everything perfectly. Apparently, I always have.”

~

The next morning brought a bright morning light into the small apartment as James bustled around the kitchen, finding only the strength to put together a bowl of cereal for breakfast. He feared if he did much more his brain would have erupted. Luckily, he had taken off for the weekend in anticipation that he would be spending it with his new fiancé. One thing James knew well was that plans changed.

“Morning, sunshine!” Rex chirped as he bounded into the kitchen in a pair of boxer shorts and a plain white t-shirt.

Groaning, James pulled a bowl down from the cabinet and set it on the table all the while glaring at Rex.

“Someone woke up as Mr. Grumpy Pants this morning.” He mocked while leaning over the counter.

“What are you so chirpy about this morning?” James grumbled while pouring the cereal into his bowl.

“Can’t a guy just wake up bright and early on a Saturday morning?”

Eyeing him suspiciously, James snickered. “You never went to sleep, did you?”