(10) Ages: 17 & 14

Ages: 17 & 14

“Hey, thanks for the ride,” James told his friend as he pulled his bag from the backseat and began to exit the small Chevy truck. “I can’t wait until I save up enough money to buy something like this.” James thought aloud as he stepped onto the dark gray pavement leading up to his front door.

“Just do what I did; date the daughter of a car salesman,” Rex announced with pride as he stepped out of his truck and slammed the door with a chuckle.

“Dude, he cut the price in half after you agreed to never speak to his daughter again.”

“Exactly! It was a win-win on my part, that girl was worse than static cling.” They both laughed as they walked up to James’ house, but James stopped abruptly and turned to Rex with a grimace. “It’s Friday, isn’t it?”

“TGIF, man! Why?” Rex asked in confusion when he saw his friend’s strange expression.

He sighed in disappointment and began walking next door to the Loren’s. “I babysit the tween on Friday’s.”

“Oh right, I forgot about that.” He turned and began following James across the freshly cut grass. “I’ve never even met this kid that occupies all of your Fridays. Is she a brat?” He asked in curiosity.

“She thinks I think she is.” He smirked. “She goes to our school, dude." He glanced over at his friend, with a disbelieving arch to his eyebrow. "How have you not seen her?”

Rex shrugged. “I don’t know. I probably have, but I just didn’t know who she was.”

“Well, believe me, when you see her you’ll know if you’ve seen her before. You can’t forget Jenny Loren.” He announced assuredly before knocking loudly on the Loren's front door. They waited a few moments before James quickly became impatient, knocking once again only this time shouting as well. “Jenny! Open the door!”

Jenny blew out her cheeks in frustration as she rushed down the stairs mumbling to herself, “unbelievable. I’m fourteen, I don’t need a babysitter!” She swung open the door and crossed her arms in defiance. “What?!”

James stepped inside and gently shoved her aside before quickly introducing his friend. “Rex, this is the pest. Pest, meet Rex.” He threw his bag onto the couch and turned to find his friend still standing in front of the door, staring straight at Jenny as if he were frozen.

“Hey.” Rex greeted her with a smile and James could feel his jaw clench at the sight of his friend quickly running his eyes up and down Jenny's body. “You were at Brad Cunningham’s party, right?” He asked with a crooked smile and let his hand linger in Jenny’s.

She could feel her cheeks heat up at the sound of Brad’s party because the only thing she remembered from that night was the kiss that made her head spin around and, luckily, it had nothing to do with that sleaze, Kyle Jacobson. “Uh, yeah.” Jenny chuckled nervously and eventually freed her hand from Rex’s tight grip, coolly using it to push a strand of hair behind her ear. “You were there?”

“Briefly. I don’t spend any more time than I have to at sophomore parties.” He smirked and James nearly gagged at the sound of Rex referencing how he liked to pick up younger, naïve girls to a younger and naïve girl. He never really thought much of it but now his friend was practically flirting with Jenny and he could nearly puke at the sight of that stupid smirk.

“Jenny!” James didn’t mean for his voice to be so abrupt and loud, but both of them nearly jumped from the other side of the room.

“What?” She asked with wide eyes, wondering why there was a need for a sudden outburst.