(16) Ages: 17 & 14

Ages: 17 & 14

“Something’s not right.”

Rex looked over at James in confusion while adjusting the graduation cap on his head. “What are you talking about?”

Staring down at the concrete floor, James paced the floor of the drama room. “I just feel like something’s not right.” He groaned and shook his head before stopping and looking back at his friend. “I’m missing something.”

“Well, if you left something at home it’s a little late, graduation is about to start,” Rex informed his friend as he stared out of the small window cut into the classroom door. He watched the main school hallway where family and friends of the high school graduates were filing into the auditorium. He moved out of the doorway when he saw the school principal moving towards the room. The principal, Mr. Gregory, entered the room with a large smile and clapped his hands. “Alright, the big day is here and I just want to let all of you know how extremely proud I am of each and every one of you. You are all destined to succeed with whatever you do and I can’t wait to see how far these dreams take you.” He smiled at all of the graduates before pulling open the door and turning back to them. “Your life is waiting.”

Still racking his brain to figure out what was bothering him so much, James sighed in frustration and followed his class out of the room. He was so deep in thought, he jumped when a pair of hands reached around him from behind and wrapped him in a loving hug.

“I can’t believe my baby is graduating!” Mrs. Jenson cooed as she rocked James back and forth.

He chuckled and turned to face his mother, taking her hands in his. “Mom, tone down the overbearing mother act just a little bit, please?” He asked with a smile while looking around to make sure his class had already gone on ahead of him.

Denise chuckled and reached for his face. “I am so proud of you, baby.”

“Thanks, mom.” He averted his eyes to the side and saw his father moving closer. “Hey, dad.”

“Hey, graduate!” Mr. Jenson’s voice booms through the halls as he wrapped his hand around the back of his sons head and gave him a loving kiss on the forehead. He pulled back and stared at James with a look that only a son could understand. “You did well, kid. You did well.” The hallway is silent for that one moment as James took in the full meaning of those words and the look in his father’s eyes.

“You should get with your class, I think they’re about to enter the auditorium.” Denise motioned to the group of students huddled by the door and James nodded but turned back to his mother to ask the question that had finally clicked. His missing piece.

“Where’s Jenny?”

“I’m sure she’s with Alison. I saw her and Keith when we were pulling up, but the parking lot was so crowded we just told them to save us a seat.”

James forced a small and nodded, trying to accept what he was told, despite the suspicion that Jenny was the cause of the strange feeling he had been feeling all day.

“We’ll see you inside, okay?” Denise nodded with a large smile before she made her way to the entrance.

“We’ll be the one’s cheering the loudest,” Richard promised, giving James a pat on the shoulder as he followed after his wife.

“Psst! James!” Rex whispered loudly while waving James over and making an expression similar to a monkey’s as he jumped in the arm and pretended to scratch his armpits. James chuckled and slowly made his way back over to the group just as the music began playing inside the auditorium. His stomach flipped as he stood in line alphabetically, positioning himself right after some girl named Patricia Jelony but before his friend Rex, whose legal name was actually Reymond Johnson. Grabbing his shoulders roughly from behind, Rex gave him a small shake. “This is it, dude! Time to grab life by the balls!” His voice was a little too loud, which sent half the graduation line into a small fit of laughter, causing one of the teachers leading them into the auditorium to turn back and shoot them a quick glare. James’ laughter faded all too quickly when he noticed an empty seat beside Alison and Keith.

“Where’s Jenny?” He mouthed the words to Alison, only to be met with a look of uncertainty as she lifted her arms helplessly. The graduates sat down and James immediately pulled out the cell phone beneath his long black robe. The first introduction speech seemed to drag on forever and James had been staring down at his phone for over half of it, with no reply.

“Dude,” Rex elbowed James in the arm and whispered, “Ms. Hogsbreath keeps looking over here like she’s going to cut a bitch.” Ms. Hogsbreath’s name was actually Ms. Hosbree but Rex seemed to think a name should match the person wearing it. “Put your phone up.”

“Where is she?” He whispered to himself and glanced back to find the chair saved for Jenny still empty. He groaned and began whispering to Rex, “I’ll be back. Text me when they get to Mandy Holland.” Rex’s eyes widened but before he could get a word out, James was already out of his seat and walking towards the exit. He honestly didn’t believe Jenny would miss his high school graduation and because he knew this, he also knew she couldn’t be far. It didn’t take long to find her because there was only one girl standing on the steps outside the school, one girl in a bright yellow dress with tears streaming down her face. “Jenny?” James pushed the school door open and stepped outside, concern written clearly on his face while Jenny quickly wiped the tears from her eyes before turning around.

“Jameson.” She cleared her throat and plastered on a fake smile, hoping the redness in her face and tears still deep in her eyes would somehow go unnoticed. But with James, they never did. “What are you doing out here? I didn’t miss you walk, did I?” She asked quickly, suddenly feeling a lump in her throat out of fear.

James shook his head and took moved towards Jenny. “No, they’re still somewhere in the B’s or C’s. What are you doing out here? Have you been crying?”

He asked two questions, but it was pointless because both questions had the same reasoning. “Everything’s going to change after today,” Jenny pointed out softly.

“A lot of things are going to change,” James smiled, “but not everything.”

“It feels like everything’s already changing and I’m just stuck in your rearview mirror.”

James chuckled at Jenny's typical flare for the dramatic. “What are you talking about, Jenny?”

“You still have to teach me how to drive stick. You promised you would take me to my first concert and I never got to finish teaching you the dance moves to Thriller - which by the way, the fact you don't already know them is inexcusable."

He laughed and tossed his head back. "God, you make it sound like I'm dying."

"There's still so much we haven't done yet." He just stared back at her, the worry look he first saw quickly turning into pure terror. "After graduation it’s just a matter of time before you move out, go to a big college, forget about me and-“

James placed his hands on Jenny’s shoulders, stopping her midsentence. “Jenny, would you chill for one second? First of all, I’m not going anywhere. I didn’t get my financial aid in order to go to a big university which means I will probably be attending the community college ten minutes away from home and second of all, about the forgetting you thing,” he chuckled a comforting kind of laugh and placed a finger beneath her chin, “you’re Jennifer Loran.”

“You promise?” Jenny questioned, her puppy dog eyes looking up at him with a hopeful grin.

“Of course, you’re too damn irritating and frustration for anyone to forget.” Jenny’s mouth dropped slightly as she slapped him across the arm. “Especially me,” James added finally and sincerely as they both stand there in silence a moment, until the double doors swung open and Rex stuck his head outside with an urgent expression.

“Dude, they just called your name!”

James’ eyes widened and he turned back to Jenny with a smile before instinctively grabbing her hand. “Come on,” he instructed with a bright smile before pulling her along with him back into the school.